DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good installer in the San Antonio, Texas area? I wouldn't mind driving all the way up to Austin if needed by the way! Just looking for someone that knows what they're doing so that they can replace the stock speakers in my doors and install sound deadening as well.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Anybody should be able to do that. If you're worried about somebody breaking your door panel clips as they remove the door panel and what not. Well, I hate to break it to you, but broken door panel clips are a fact of life. It happens to the great ones. Try making a friend who's in the hobby and make an afternoon of it. Good luck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yea, I knew I was forgetting something. It's a 2011 camaro. I'm starting to think I can do the door install but I might need someone who knows how to tune a system in case I decide to buy the ms8. Still debating it at the moment

·
Registered
512 Posts
Oh yea, I knew I was forgetting something. It's a 2011 camaro. I'm starting to think I can do the door install but I might need someone who knows how to tune a system in case I decide to buy the ms8. Still debating it at the moment
Welcome to the world of "Do it yourself" As far as tuning the MS8, well, it's more of a self tuning device. Setting it up is self explanatory as long as you read and follow instructions well. :D About all you can do once the MS8 does it's thing is fine tune with the EQ. An RTA will get you in the ball park then it's all ears after that.

I've come across folks in San Antonio in the hobby, but never really kept up with them. The Austin members are more into it, hosting get together's and what not. Keep any eye out for one.

If you wanna goof around shoot me a message. Time is a little tight with the holidays here, but who knows. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went to the local custom sounds and they want about 75 bucks to install my front speakers but their work has warranty, what do you guys think? Should I just do it myself and pocket the cash or let them do it and have the warranty peace of mind....... Hmm....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Custom sounds can do good work and $75 isn't bad if they don't upcharge the hell out of you for little BS. Their normal single DIN HU installs are $89.99 and after all the little BS average $250-$300

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
What do you mean by little BS? Got any thoughts on what I should look out for?
They may charge you ridiculous prices for wiring adapters, mounting rings/adapters, etc.

For example I went there to buy a dash kit for my Mini Cooper and the price at Crutchfield was HALF of what CS wanted and the price on Ebay was 1/3 what CS wanted. If I didn't live in an apartment right now I would offer to install them for you, but for now CS is your best choice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to do it myself but I guess right now the fear of messing something up terribly is stopping me. But I do know that no one will take as much care in installing something into my car as I will so that's another reason I want to give it a shot. And I was actually surprised that custom sounds actually wan't overcharging too bad.... Well I think. They are asking 400 for the focal 165 v30 set and I can't find it anywhere below 500.

·
4,981 Posts
i know i charge more than 75 bucks for front speaker install. i would take a good 2-3 hours to do it right with various levels of sound proofing (broken down by costs differences).

but of course make sure quality is correct, the peace of mind in knowing that i think is paramount above all, if you even remotely care about your car :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In all honesty, if I could find someone that does the work you do, I wouldn't mind paying up. The one thing that does bother me about CS doing my install, is the fact that the sound deadening probably won't be as good as I want it.

·
4,981 Posts
get your hands dirty.

we don't get too many chances where we don't have to be certified, circumcised, and stamped with some county bill of approval before we can cut, drill, and fill.

if you mess up, the door panel covers it.
but then YOU would know the mess up was there, something like that, i know drives mes nuts :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in San Antonio as well. I'm getting ready to undertake the full install on my 2010 F150. Front components, rear coax, sub, processor, and amp. I looked all over the city to find where I wanted my sub box built since I'm going custom. I'm down to the "know its being built right" with Custom Sounds but pay quite a bit more than I feel is really necessary. Or there's another place on San Pedro called Electronics 2000. I was a bit skeptical when I went in there. It doesn't look like much, but the owner really sounds legit. And his pricing was much more in line with what I was expecting. He said he's owned the shop for 20 years as well. As for Custom Sounds, the San Pedro one seems to be the main store, but I have mixed experiences there. The Walzem store, I really like the manager there. The one I had the best experience at this time around was the one on SW Military. Thats the one I will probably use if I decide to choose them over Electronics 2000.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Will do. I'm doing 95% of the install myself. Just having the sub box built by someone since its going in a custom spot. But I'll let you know where I go and how it goes. Did you ever get your stuff done?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm in SA also. I say do it your self and learn. Take your time. Maybe watch others and build your confidence and jump in and get your hands dirty. Its not that hard. I'm in the process of doing my GTO's doors. I've got the CLD done on one door and starting the 2nd. MLV is after that. Shoot me a PM. What side of town do you live on?
That $75 it sounds like your paying them is just to mount the speakers in the stock holes it sounds like to me, using factory wiring.

Hit me up

Kyle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey y'all. Just finished up my install. Here's a link to it:

russ10screw stereo upgrade - full build - F150online Forums

It was a great process. Time consuming for sure, but I enjoyed the experience. And as I mentioned before, I had the box built by Electronics 2000. I would give them a huge vote on my end. They did great work. Quoted me $108 based on 3/4" MDF, auto carpet finish and custom sizing. They ended up doing some fiberglass on the back side of it as well at no extra charge. Very impressed. And I have to amend my earlier message about Custom Sounds. It was the Bandera store with Trey that I had a positive experience at. That being said, if I need specialty stuff, I think I've found my new place in Electronics 2000. Check out my thread and let me know what you think.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts