DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Adam at Madisound for helping me out with this.

Alright, I just wrapped up testing on the SB Acoustics 17NRXC35-4, 6.5" midwoofer driver.
SB Acoustics SB17NRXC35-4, 6.5" Woofer: Madisound Speaker Store

The data is attached in PDF form.

I ran this particular test 6 times total. The results were always the same.

Displacement Limits (based on 82%Bl, 75%Cms, etc):
X Bl @ Bl min=82% 4.4 mm
X C @ C min=75% 1.9 mm
X L @ Z max=10 % >4.5 mm
X d @ d2=10% 26.2 mm

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks for the test. I have been looking into the 8'' version, this will give me an idea what to expect versus the data supplied with it.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Thanks for the test!

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
Can see that full copper sleeve on the motor working well.

Those drivers have a world class motor attached to a half-assed cone.

·
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you guys thought the mag coned Seas Excel was a bastard to work with, the paper coned SBs are worse.
From Zaph data:
FR shows some bad breakup starting at 4khz. Real bad.

Distortion wise it looks good above 100hz. When you get to 1.5k it gets rough.

Bandpasing them between 60-2khz seems more nominal. As a pure midbass they'd probably be good. For $140/pair it's not bad to try.

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
In a car, off axis and steep slopes would be a must given how rough those things get...and 2k is about all I would try to get out of it.

As a midbass only, they might be pretty good. Meniscus seems to like them...or they make huge profit on them one, cause every time I have asked about midbasses...we really like the SB 7 line.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I will say this... 3 of us were impressed by how smooth they were running with no crossover up top today. maybe my ears just can't hear it... what should I listen for in the break up?

we are running them out to 4k

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
We are going to spend a bunch of time today listening to them... Is this an acceptable place to give my $0.02 on how they sound?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the data on these woofers. I have a pair I'll be installing in my MS6 sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Another forward offset... This is beginning to bug me. Where is Dan Wiggins when you need him ;)

Erin are you running any break in on the drivers you are testing? While I have not been a big believer that break in makes a night and day difference I do believe that it makes a little difference (I know, very subjective - I believe the suspension loosens up a bit). I wonder if these drivers with a forward offset would show up centered after extended usage?

Why does it always seem to be an outward bias. If these were random assembly errors I would expect to see some inward variations as well. I don't know but I am beginning to have a hard time believing this is just an assembly error (and I darn sure dont want to admit Cajunner was right and this is an actual design feature :) ).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts