DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
I am going to replace my midwoofer, and my doubt is about the SB Acoustic SB17CRC35-8 or the Satori MW16PNW-8.

I ran an active 3-way system, they will work in a 63-250Hz range. My question: are the Satori worth the higher price (about $100 more for the couple) than SB, since I will use it as pure woofers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Hi guys!
I am going to replace my midwoofer, and my doubt is about the SB Acoustic SB17CRC35-8 or the Satori MW16PNW-8.

I ran an active 3-way system, they will work in a 63-250Hz range. My question: are the Satori worth the higher price (about $100 more for the couple) than SB, since I will use it as pure woofers?

Thanks!
Both an extravagance for woofer only duty I would think. Pick up some si tmi or tmii for that

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
For 3-way duty, I'd think any benefit of the Satori would be wasted, stick with the SB's. I did notice you specified 8-ohm models, any particular reason?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both an extravagance for woofer only duty I would think. Pick up some si tmi or tmii for that
Looks a good driver, but out of range with price. (the only available is mkIII @$280)

For 3-way duty, I'd think any benefit of the Satori would be wasted, stick with the SB's. I did notice you specified 8-ohm models, any particular reason?
Thank you. I prefer 8 ohm because I am running wf with dual bridge amps, and I believe to get better control.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used is much cheaper
Sure, if you can find it!
By the way for the same price is much better brand new woofers than used. (for similar drivers with not very big differences). You never know how they have been treated! This is just my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
19,900 Posts
for a 3 way, neither. Both are great drivers, but they are designed to excel in a two way setup. This means they are leaving something else on the table in order to achieve the bandwidth up top. Most likely low end output potential. If you can fit them, try the exodus anarchies. Most bad ass budget 6" on the block

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Both will be terrific. The Satori is an amazing driver. The Sb is less money but will perform close to the Satori in the limited passband you will use it at. Unless you are trying for the best possible, than maybe it is worth it...that really is a question only you can answer. The Satori has a better motor and a lighter cone. It has better cone/surround design for much better breakup than the SB, but again- you're really only using these in a limited passband application so breakup shouldn't even factor into it.

I would personally pay the extra $50 a driver for the Satori's because I believe they are a superior driver and have more versatility in the long run should you decide to change the way you use them down the road.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for a 3 way, neither. Both are great drivers, but they are designed to excel in a two way setup. This means they are leaving something else on the table in order to achieve the bandwidth up top. Most likely low end output potential. If you can fit them, try the exodus anarchies. Most bad ass budget 6" on the block
Thanks for the tip, the only available is 7" (Anarchy-708) and I'm not sure it fix, I don't remember my cutout i need to check it.
By the way my doubt is the higher fs (45) than SB (28, but I know is just free air), also I am looking something with good to great sound quality. Even if anarchy have a MONSTER 12.5mm X-mas :eek: that should mean a lot of punch!
But if you believe they better suits my range I will consider it, if they fit.

Both will be terrific. The Satori is an amazing driver. The Sb is less money but will perform close to the Satori in the limited passband you will use it at. Unless you are trying for the best possible, than maybe it is worth it...that really is a question only you can answer. The Satori has a better motor and a lighter cone. It has better cone/surround design for much better breakup than the SB, but again- you're really only using these in a limited passband application so breakup shouldn't even factor into it.
I would personally pay the extra $50 a driver for the Satori's because I believe they are a superior driver and have more versatility in the long run should you decide to change the way you use them down the road.
I know both are great 2-way drivers, but probably for my passband I don't ear too much differences. And yes, they're driver i can use in case of 2-way "downgrade".

·
Registered
19,900 Posts
Thanks for the tip, the only available is 7" (Anarchy-708) and I'm not sure it fix, I don't remember my cutout i need to check it.
By the way my doubt is the higher fs (45) than SB (28, but I know is just free air), also I am looking something with good to great sound quality. Even if anarchy have a MONSTER 12.5mm X-mas :eek: that should mean a lot of punch!
But if you believe they better suits my range I will consider it, if they fit.

I know both are great 2-way drivers, but probably for my passband I don't ear too much differences. And yes, they're driver i can use in case of 2-way "downgrade".
45hz resonant frequency is plenty low for a midbass. Some of the ones suggested above have a 70hz or so FS ;)

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Yes, they will. The Anarchy's are very capable midbass drivers. They are pretty huge though so make sure they fit (specifically the depth).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes, they will. The Anarchy's are very capable midbass drivers. They are pretty huge though so make sure they fit (specifically the depth).
Thank you!

I decided to go with Anarchy! SB is great driver but with pass-band they should work sounds like a shame!
Also I am abundantly in the budget, less than $150 shipped is a great choice! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts