DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I sold an Sub to a good home, but all a Scam! the person said that they would send me a cashiers check which will include shipping and if there is money left over from shipping just send it back western union, I thought nothing of it at first, the item went for $750 OK< cool, but when I got the check it was for $2500, ok that should cover the shipping:) but I knew something was not right, so I called the Bank and everything checked out as far as a good account, But still not enough, so I went into the bank, and right away I was told that this is a scam. what happens is once you deposit it in your bank, your bank will just check the money in the account and if it checks out then your good to go right then and there, but what happens is that when it is sent back to the bank in question it will come back as fraud, and your stuck holding the bag. thought that I'd share this info and hope no one gets stuck, and hope that this info is helpful, I love this hobby and we have to protect one another. hope that this was helpful

·
Registered
555 Posts
And that's why you only accept USPS certified money orders, never cashiers checks. That is a pretty common way to dupe people and has been around for many many years.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that what I hear, I guess they are still up to their old tricks:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's too suspicious. Send 3 times the amount of an item to cover shipping? What's even worse is if you actually sent $1600 back ($2500-750+shipping) you'd be out the sub and money from your own account.

This happened to me once at a hotel I worked at. Guy came in with a cashiers check. Paid for his room, had a few dollars remaining in his balance. Our front desk clerk actually refunded him the remaining balance in cash. We then found out it was a fradulent check and had to eat both the room charge and the money we refunded him.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hmmm... wonder if it works differently in the states...?

I've paid for services/products with "bank drafts" many times. In this case however, the draft value is removed from the payer's account immediately, and there by gaurenteed by the bank, so there's no worry about it being covered on the receiving end.

Are "cashier's checks" and "bank drafts" different things...?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
the person said that they would send me a cashiers check which will include shipping and if there is money left over from shipping just send it back western union
For me that's usually a dead give away for a scam, glad you didn't go through with it - good for you!

I found a scam similar to that a while back when someone tried to sell me a Tru Hammer for stupid cheap. The guy wanted me to send him a cashier's check even though he's located only an hour or two away from me.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I will take cashiers check only after talking to someone for a while...... then I let them know there needs to be a local bank to cash it at, so I can avoid my account all together....then I let them know I will ship after it has all cleared

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
If it's too good to be true....it probably is......

·
Registered
406 Posts
ANY time the 2 words WESTERN UNION come up in a transaction, time to just drop the whole deal right there..

·
Registered
636 Posts
Glad you didn't ship out the sub.

Smart checking up on things so thoroughly. Nice job.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
And there are some pretty darn good USPS m.o. fakes... but at least you can go straight in to your local post office and check before you ship anything.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Wow I had heard about the scam with refunding shipping overages. I just did not realize the cashiers check was a bad thing. I paid for something with a cashiers check from my credit union a couple of years ago. The guy would not take paypal. It worked out ok. But he asked for a cashiers check.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Does the check have watermarks and micro print? Then again they soak the paper to take the ink off and reprint a $3 check into 3,000. I hate checks anywhere except to pay bills in the mail. Half the time they don't even cash them for the right amount, the gas company can't even read and the bank can't either. You can try to call the bank the check is printed from and ask them if the amount/account is good.

Funny how it takes 2 seconds to deduct money out of your checking account with a debt card anywhere in the country, yet it can take over a month to clear a check you cash at the bank! And that is how long it will take you to find out you got taken. The banks seem to like this to go on IMO.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dear Mr Scammer, I am sorry
Date: 2009-01-10, 11:48AM EST

Dear Mr. Scammer
I owe you a few apologies:
• I am sorry for responding and saying sure I am happy to engage in a bizarre business deal with you knowing full well it isn’t real.
• I am sorry you wasted time to print a horrible fake check.
• I am sorry you spent $4.90 UPS’ing it to me overnight.
• I am sorry for taking a few days to get back to you after I got the check and ask you for your phone number which you can’t give me. I knew that and still I emailed you for the phone number.
• I am sorry that I lied to you and said I could not find a western union office near me, making you look them up, emailing me a list and me telling you those two liquor stores are shut down.
• I am sorry that I lied to you about getting pissed at the western union office because they wanted $1.75 to cut a check and that I said that’s robbery and left in a huff. The truth is I never went there in the first place. Sorry for wasting your time that day.
• I’m sorry I lied the next day after you threaten to call the FBI and local police on me because I cashed your check and would not pay you. I knew you would not, but I wrote you an email begging you not to call the police and that I would pay you tomorrow after I cashed the check.
• I’m sorry that I lied the next day and said the western union office girl was rude to me so I left in anger, again delaying your money by another day.
• Im sorry I lied about sending the money to western union in your name vs the shipper so you could not pick it up. I realize this cost you a day or so.
• I am really sorry that I lied and said that the money order was at your western union, but off by 1 zip code making you drive 30 minutes to find out I am a liar.
• Your last email to me was justified. Obviously from your language you were pissed. The fact that as you "YELLED” and your grasp of the English language seemed to fade away like my Mom’s when she is livid showed me what a bad person I am.
• Your phone call from Africa? was upsetting because as you were trying to explain to me how to go down to western union and pay the $1.75 and you would pick up the fee, I realized how frustrated you were getting. I also lied about being hard of hearing and asking you to yell. Sorry.
All in all, I am sorry for sucking up your bandwidth. I realize that my actions probably sucked up 6-10 hours of your time and kept you from fleecing some gullible person in America.
Please forgive me. Go ahead and send me another forged check and I will send you my cash to your shipper. Please try me again. Even though I lied you to about 15 times I won’t do it again.
Your friendly computer person.
MHF
:D:D

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Does the check have watermarks and micro print? Then again they soak the paper to take the ink off and reprint a $3 check into 3,000. I hate checks anywhere except to pay bills in the mail. Half the time they don't even cash them for the right amount, the gas company can't even read and the bank can't either. You can try to call the bank the check is printed from and ask them if the amount/account is good.

Funny how it takes 2 seconds to deduct money out of your checking account with a debt card anywhere in the country, yet it can take over a month to clear a check you cash at the bank! And that is how long it will take you to find out you got taken. The banks seem to like this to go on IMO.
Microprint and watermarks are so easy to duplicate that a child could be taught. The magnetic imaging that the trans code and account number are printed with is a bit more difficult as not just anyone can get the ink- or even knows about it not being just "black".
(I am a lead press operator for a company that prints bank forms). One of the other operators (35 year veteran) got a scam check in the mail. Every test we could do to it showed a real check. He didn't cash it (turned in to his bank's fraud division), but it was a legitimate check. Either the counterfeits are getting better, or the security at the printing shops is slacking :mad:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts