DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between the Scan R3004 vs D3004 both in shallow 1 inch format. They will be mounted on-axis. I have looked at the graphs and read several reviews that say the R3004 is better suited for on-axis. I know the R3004 plays flat to a higher frequency and has less dispersion (ie. worse off-axis performance) than the D3004.

Why do those characteristics make the R3004 "better" than the D3004 for on-axis use and are there any others?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, how about this... Which would be better/easier to tune for 2-seat tune? Would the D3004's better off axis response be better or worse for this?

·
Registered
17,872 Posts
the d3004's have better off axis response, but ring radiators eliminates the distortion that comes from the center of the dome that dome tweeters have. also, id like to think that when rings are on axis their drop in off axis response results in not as bad reflections. thats just speculation and doubt it is irrelevant though

·
Registered
17,872 Posts
also, on axis the r3004 has a bit better response

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the d3004's have better off axis response, but ring radiators eliminates the distortion that comes from the center of the dome that dome tweeters have. also, id like to think that when rings are on axis their drop in off axis response results in not as bad reflections. thats just speculation and doubt it is irrelevant though
That is kinda what I was thinking too. That the R3004's may create less early reflections.

But since the R3004's are so directional do you think that would help or hinder 2-seat tuning? Obviously this would just be speculation on your part. Maybe it would depend on how they are aimed? I will be mounting in some of the pods the German guy from Ebay makes. With those pods you can pretty much aim them any way you want.

·
Registered
17,872 Posts
That is kinda what I was thinking too. That the R3004's may create less early reflections.

But since the R3004's are so directional do you think that would help or hinder 2-seat tuning? Obviously this would just be speculation on your part. Maybe it would depend on how they are aimed? I will be mounting in some of the pods the German guy from Ebay makes. With those pods you can pretty much aim them any way you want.
that im not sure about. i think it would depend on the aiming a bit, but 2 seat also has a ton to do with path length differences. biggest upgrade you can do is modify the seat rails so they are able to go as far back as possible.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Oh good I was going to make a similar thread as I was debating between the two as well, lol.

I was thinking the D3004 since my head is rarely stuck in a single position while driving. Though i'm sure that's just the reality of car audio.

·
Registered
17,872 Posts
Oh good I was going to make a similar thread as I was debating between the two as well, lol.

I was thinking the D3004 since my head is rarely stuck in a single position while driving. Though i'm sure that's just the reality of car audio.
off axis response isnt THAT crazy. i have these and other ring radiators in both of my cars and you cant notice any chance in tonality while moving your head around. although you can notice timing issues if you move it far enough. simple rule of thumb, if you can install them on axis just get the r3004. even 15 degrees (or is it 30, the first green line in its chart), has a damn good response

·
Registered
189 Posts
off axis response isnt THAT crazy. i have these and other ring radiators in both of my cars and you cant notice any chance in tonality while moving your head around. although you can notice timing issues if you move it far enough. simple rule of thumb, if you can install them on axis just get the r3004. even 15 degrees (or is it 30, the first green line in its chart), has a damn good response
Sweet, good to know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey sorry for jumping in on this thread but could someone tell me how to post a thread of my own ? I just joined a couple of days ago but cant figure it out and cant get customer service to respond to my emails. Thank you

K J

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey sorry for jumping in on this thread but could someone tell me how to post a thread of my own ? I just joined a couple of days ago but cant figure it out and cant get customer service to respond to my emails. Thank you

K J
Select which forum you want to post in, then you should see an orange "new thread" button about middle screen on left hand side, then just follow the directions.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that im not sure about. i think it would depend on the aiming a bit, but 2 seat also has a ton to do with path length differences. biggest upgrade you can do is modify the seat rails so they are able to go as far back as possible.
But then I would need stilts to be able to reach the pedals ;)

Really, I am trying to get it to sound good for both sides while driving. I just went and did some quick measuring. PLD's: Driver Pillar-42", Passenger Pillar 61", Driver Kick-58", Passenger Kick-72"

So I would only shorten the difference in PLD's by about 5" by mounting in the kicks. Not really sure if this amount of difference would make a substantial difference in time alignment or not. I will have to to a bit more reading. But I think I could mount these pods in the kick area just as easily as in the pillar. Maybe I will give that a try first before mounting in the pillar. See how that works for me.

·
Registered
17,872 Posts

Really, I am trying to get it to sound good for both sides while driving. I just went and did some quick measuring. PLD's: Driver Pillar-42", Passenger Pillar 61", Driver Kick-58", Passenger Kick-72"

So I would only shorten the difference in PLD's by about 5" by mounting in the kicks. Not really sure if this amount of difference would make a substantial difference in time alignment or not. I will have to to a bit more reading. But I think I could mount these pods in the kick area just as easily as in the pillar. Maybe I will give that a try first before mounting in the pillar. See how that works for me.
dont worry about 2 seat unless your competing. its never going to be great on both sides unless you take drastic measures.

·
Registered
189 Posts

I think good two seat with realistic driving position is going to need a center channel and processing for that in most cases.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think good two seat with realistic driving position is going to need a center channel and processing for that in most cases.
I thought about going the center channel route but decided against it since getting PLD's equal is supposed to be able to overcome this.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dont worry about 2 seat unless your competing. its never going to be great on both sides unless you take drastic measures.
It doesn't have to sound great on both sides but I would like to be able to get it were its at least good on both sides. Like right now if I want to let someone listen to my truck and really appreciate they have to sit on the driver's side. I would like to get it where the passenger also has a good center image and not being overpowered by the passenger side speakers. That's my goal anyway.

I have the Helix P-6 and plan on getting a Director remote so I will be able to save 20 different "tunes".

·
Registered
17,872 Posts
It doesn't have to sound great on both sides but I would like to be able to get it were its at least good on both sides. Like right now if I want to let someone listen to my truck and really appreciate they have to sit on the driver's side. I would like to get it where the passenger also has a good center image and not being overpowered by the passenger side speakers. That's my goal anyway.

I have the Helix P-6 and plan on getting a Director remote so I will be able to save 20 different "tunes".
honestly, thats not really possible (from what ive experienced). i listened to a really good 2 seat car from the passenger seat with the seats modified to the point where you were pretty much sitting in the back seat, and there still wasnt a center image. the image was to the far right, like straight ahead of you. if you want to just show someone from the pass seat, just make a second preset with the settings flip flopped

1 - 17 of 17 Posts