Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
16 Posts
Admittedly I don’t know much about Scanspeak. Would these be a good replacement for the Bose 9” mid bass driver in my car if going DSP and active 3 way?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Admittedly I don’t know much about Scanspeak. Would these be a good replacement for the Bose 9” mid bass driver in my car if going DSP and active 3 way?
Are you putting them in enclosures? The Qtc is 0.35. I'd model it before sticking in a door infinite baffle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No enclosure as they would be in the doors. I don’t have the data to model it and can’t really trust the comparison in the eBay ad.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well,, I couldn't resist and ordered a pair. I had been wanting to try out the 7" Discovery as it specs and graphs similarly to the older Vifa MG18s. I have a couple sets of the MG18WK09-04 and while they don't dig very deep, the midrange and vocals from them are the clearest and most transparent I've heard next to my Nautilus 805s. Hoping these Theils will sound similar.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Are you putting them in enclosures? The Qtc is 0.35. I'd model it before sticking in a door infinite baffle.
I dont think modeling them is relevant if they will be high passed in a door. - Nevermind, I see you were replying to the Bose 9" enclosure guy.

If using same speaker locations as the Bose 9" drivers, Id look for 9" speakers. Cone area is a blessing.

I havent received mine yet but Im sure these will do excellently in a 2 way like the discovers do.

Regarding the guy with the Vifa...yes, those MG have amazing midrange as do the older woodpulp Vifa XT18WH Alpine type F version Im currently running. I am told these have phenomenal voicing and accurate and will increase midbass.

Were in the exact same boat

https://www.rjbaudio.com/Audiofiles/Vifa XT vs XG.html

(MGs are same as XG but yellow)

Erin of this board runs the discovery 7"s in the car. The only difference is the blue paint according to Madisound.

I was waiting for a deal like this and put aside installing these ESB 8000 woofers I have new, just because theyve been in my past 3 cars and time to try something new. These are a safe bet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the replies and info guys. Was hoping these would be a decent upgrade from the cheap Bose speakers when I install a DSP and go active with the mids in the dash and tweeters.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Were in the exact same boat

https://www.rjbaudio.com/Audiofiles/Vifa XT vs XG.html

(MGs are same as XG but yellow)

Thanks for the link!

I'm running a set of Alpine SPX-17PRO woofers because they made for an easy install. They have a similar overall tone and can dig pretty deep but they sound muffled compared to the MG18s. I've decided to make the MGs or these Theils (if they sound as transparent) fit even if I have to mount them on the outside of the door card.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies and info guys. Was hoping these would be a decent upgrade from the cheap Bose speakers when I install a DSP and go active with the mids in the dash and tweeters.
One you take the original speakers out and measure space, we would be able to find replacements that work well and wont break the bank.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone installed these yet? They look very nice, yet to make the time to take doors off.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I'm running the 8 ohm version of the Discovery 7" in my truck because it models to be around 3db louder at 80hz compared to the 4 ohm version. 8 ohm version has a higher qts too. I'm sure the 4 ohm version would work decent too IB as long as the user doesn't expect midbass miracles out of it. Tonally they're awesome speakers and would probably mate well with any low playing tweeter. For 2-way purposes I still think the paper SB17 is the value king even though it lacks in midbass.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'm running the 8 ohm version of the Discovery 7" in my truck because it models to be around 3db louder at 80hz compared to the 4 ohm version. 8 ohm version has a higher qts too. I'm sure the 4 ohm version would work decent too IB as long as the user doesn't expect midbass miracles out of it. Tonally they're awesome speakers and would probably mate well with any low playing tweeter. For 2-way purposes I still think the paper SB17 is the value king even though it lacks in midbass.
Why do you prefer the SB vs the scan?

Im planning to take the doors off in next couple days and I have a pair of these and a new set of the old zapco/esb CK 6.5" woofers Ive used in my past 3 cars.

Those are "heavy" sounding drivers but put out serious midbass. These look like they are more balanced and seem like they would cover the 80-2.5k range more accurately but has more excursion than my current 6.5" .

Its going to be crossed over around 80hz in a 2 way and Im content with the midbass my vifa xt paper/alpine woofers I have currently and am realistic regarding midbass.

Ive been using this site to compare these vs the scan rev (most models have a lower qts as well)

Scan-Speak | Loudspeaker Database

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Why do you prefer the SB vs the scan?

Im planning to take the doors off in next couple days and I have a pair of these and a new set of the old zapco/esb CK 6.5" woofers Ive used in my past 3 cars.

Those are "heavy" sounding drivers but put out serious midbass. These look like they are more balanced and seem like they would cover the 80-2.5k range more accurately but has more excursion than my current 6.5" .

Its going to be crossed over around 80hz in a 2 way and Im content with the midbass my vifa xt paper/alpine woofers I have currently and am realistic regarding midbass.
I just feel like the SB is a more detailed sounding speaker in the midrange. I've chosen the 8 ohm Scan in two different Ram builds (2011 and my current 2016) because I really like it as a midbass driver but as a midrange there are other 6.5-7" drivers I'd choose over it. Just personal preference on matching the right speaker for the job to meet my goals. Several very picky pairs of ears said my midbass was excellent back in May at the NCSQ meet so I did something right. That was with a damaged y-splitter on the passenger side midbass too so it's mo-betta now.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I just feel like the SB is a more detailed sounding speaker in the midrange. I've chosen the 8 ohm Scan in two different Ram builds (2011 and my current 2016) because I really like it as a midbass driver but as a midrange there are other 6.5-7" drivers I'd choose over it. Just personal preference on matching the right speaker for the job to meet my goals. Several very picky pairs of ears said my midbass was excellent back in May at the NCSQ meet so I did something right. That was with a damaged y-splitter on the passenger side midbass too so it's mo-betta now.
So youre content with the midbass. Thats good to know. Im not seeing major differences between the 8 and 4 ohm version but the vifa/alpine have excellent midrange, but lack lower end of the usable spectrum. The midbass of the zapco/esb are crazy but theyre somewhat "muddy" in the upper midrange and have higher distortion. However, it also makes a unique enjoyable listen and somewhat warm.

Hmm, to pick between the two

Which crossover points have you settled on with the discoverys?

edit-oh I see youre using 2.5" frogs so your scans are midbass

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
So youre content with the midbass. Thats good to know. Im not seeing major differences between the 8 and 4 ohm version but the vifa/alpine have excellent midrange, but lack lower end of the usable spectrum. The midbass of the zapco/esb are crazy but theyre somewhat "muddy" in the upper midrange and have higher distortion. However, it also makes a unique enjoyable listen and somewhat warm.

Hmm, to pick between the two

Which crossover points have you settled on with the discoverys?
I've always used them as a dedicated midbass mostly but have had them as high as 1000hz 24db with great results. Did a quick tune years ago up to 2500 to see how they sounded and they weren't my cup of tea up that high with wideband driver up top pulling standard tweeter duty. Right now they're playing 75-300 with LR4 slopes on each end with great results. I prefer more of a blend so not a midbass junky like some are. When I modeled the 8 and 4 ohm version I used winisd. Not sure how accurate it was but the difference was there and enough for me to choose the 8 ohm version and bridge a 4ch to them.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Just remembered, I think I heard these in a passive setup on Hertz Mille (I think) crossovers. Was in an F-250 single cab and he still had the Hertz tweeters in use. I was actually impressed. Tonally there was nothing wrong with the way they sounded. He said he thought it was the Discovery speakers he bought anyway...Maybe I should do another tune with them playing up to about 2k to see how a more detailed tune works. Problem is I hate tuning and it's too damn hot to do anything in a sealed up vehicle right now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts