DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just remembered, I think I heard these in a passive setup on Hertz Mille (I think) crossovers. Was in an F-250 single cab and he still had the Hertz tweeters in use. I was actually impressed. Tonally there was nothing wrong with the way they sounded. He said he thought it was the Discovery speakers he bought anyway...Maybe I should do another tune with them playing up to about 2k to see how a more detailed tune works. Problem is I hate tuning and it's too damn hot to do anything in a sealed up vehicle right now.
me too. I just want to do it once and do it right. For curiosity, my tweets can play as low as 2k @ 24db comfortably. Which 6-7" drivers do you think would be superior in a 2 way aside from the sb17

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
me too. I just want to do it once and do it right. For curiosity, my tweets can play as low as 2k @ 24db comfortably. Which 6-7" drivers do you think would be superior in a 2 way aside from the sb17
To be honest, I'm not sure when it comes to a budget. Not on the gear swapping treadmill anymore and out of the loop. I liked the SB17 enough to buy it again if going back to 2-way. The Seas ca18rnx is a great driver that no one on here runs anymore. Always a good encounter when I heard it in a car that used to attend meets in the south. It's 8 ohm though.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah. I have been out of it for like 5 years but new car got me re-invested. I just hooked up speakers I had when I first got the car and did a temp basic install. Time to finish treating the door and while in there, might as well hook up the woofer and ring so I kinda just want to do it once.

Ive also been here since Npdang and used the Seas CA18rnx, ER18s (I think I was the one to do the first review on them as I got them when they first came out), and the Aluminum Lotus car version woofers over the past decade. All were very good but ER did poorly with moisture being pure untreated paper.

I have tried many woofers in a 2 way like the rs180, peerless exclusive, ID XS, B&C, Dyn, cdts and both the ESB Reference and Ottomila and always ended up with the ESB, however I had great experience with rs180s but I built my home theater speakers using RS woofers and Seas Alu/mag tweets so I want something different. I also really liked the Rainbow Profi Kickbass.

Im keeping the ESB tweeters as I have never heard one I like more and theyre on axis in pods. Thinking of doing the install tomorrow. I guess Im leaning towards the ESB 8000 but also want something different. I dont need to buy new drivers. I have the Vifa F class Alpine "nipple" 6.5 in my car now. The ESBs, these Scans and vifa MGs which is a lateral move as my vifas are the similar but have better low end (the mgs had none)

So its either the ESB or these Scans paired with the ESB tweets...for the 4 car in a row. Or just install these Scans. Price isnt an issue as these Zapco woofers could easily sell for 250-300 on ebay.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Hate to say it but you might just have to test and see which you like best. I can understand only wanting to do it once. Installing sucks especially this time of year.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Just as an update, I did a temp install with these then compared to the ESB 8.165

These sound very good in a car door but do much better crossed over at 80 hz @ 12 or sharper. Very low, they do break up but most of us have subs. I went with the ESB as higher qts and punchier midbass and better power handling as I have 185 watts a side to each woofer. These do have excellent midrange and are a great deal for those looking for 80-3k or so. For those who want super punchy midbass, youre gonna need to break out the dsp. However, theyre not bad at all and I prefer the midrange of these to the ESB, but these two woofers are very different in every aspect including cost.

Compared to the Alpine f class based on the vifa xt in previously these had slightly more output around 100-300 hz and very good midrange for a 2 way. In a 2 way, there will lways be compromise and these still sound very good. It just came down to personal preference and I preferred the ESB...and considering the ESB mids were like $500+ a pair when new as were the alpine F17, these hold their own very well.

Very good price vs performance and seller accepts $65 for the pair.

They also have the 8 ohm version which does seem to boost the lower end in modeling as mentioned for less money

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-ScanSpeak-18W-8537G02-7-Woofer-Thiel-DRWF-053-002-Pair-Of-Speakers/202717180181?hash=item2f32e2b115:g:TvwAAOSw9AxdD5dW

21 - 25 of 25 Posts