DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
18,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Full report attached as PDF.

First off, thanks to Adam at Madisound for helping me out with the purchase of these. He's been fully supportive of my testing here as opposed to some vendors (who will go unnamed) who have expressed no desire to support the testing. Without Madisound's help, I wouldn't feel as OK with pounding on a set of $600 drivers, which is often needed to get the most accurate data. So, thanks again, Adam.

That said, here we go...

Link to Driver:
Scan-Speak Illuminator 12MU/4731T 4.5" Midrange - 4 ohm: Madisound Speaker Store

Measured T/S Parameters:
  • Re = 3.3222 ohms
  • Fs = 73.5976 Hz
  • Zmax = 55.6352 ohms
  • Qes = 0.3892
  • Qms = 6.1291
  • Qts = 0.3660
  • Le = 0.1045 mH (at 1 kHz)
  • Diam = 86.3600 mm ( 3.4000 in )
  • Sd = 5857.5384 mm^2( 9.0792 in^2)
  • Vas = 3.9555 L ( 0.1397 ft^3)
  • BL = 4.7691 N/A
  • Mms = 5.7625 g
  • Cms = 811.5327 uM/N
  • Kms = 1232.2362 N/M
  • Rms = 0.4348 R mechanical
  • Efficiency = 0.3807 %
  • Sensitivity= 87.8233 dB @1W/1m
  • Sensitivity= 91.6400 dB @2.83Vrms/1m
Klippel Linear Xmax Values:
X Bl @ Bl min=82% 6.1 mm
X C @ C min=75% 5.1 mm

Sample Data:

Pictures:

Attachments

·
18,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
grrr.... posted wrong impedance curve in to PDF. No time to fix now. Just ignore the one in the PDF and look at the one linked in the OP.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
All these results look ridiculously close to Vance's on Voice Coil Mag. Good job. It also reassures me that the values I used in my 4 inch mid comparison were accurate.

Again a frontrunner from Scan. I'd say they got the market covered from 4"-7" cones. The only way to beat the Scans is to go alternative techonology to cover the range typically covered by this size cone.

·
18,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.
The biggest help is re-calibrating the WT2 before every measurement. If not done, Bl can differ and really affect the linear xmax values I get a good bit, even for small(ish) differences.

I looked at Vance's results again and ours are indeed very close. His Bl looks to be right around the same as mine and the general curves look similar, though my measured suspension curves are more symmetrical.

·
18,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, subjectivity aside, the usefulness of either driver seems to be a bit different. If you compare measurements from Zaph, the 12mu seems to win out in terms of distortion but if you want to cross high (ie: above 4khz) the 12m rev seems to be the wiser choice as it doesn't have a big hump in FR. As a PURE midrange (ie: 200/300-3.5khz), the 12mu is the winner because of all the things it can do. Now, though, in car audio everyone is enchanted with 'wideband' drivers and, simply put, the 12mu is not that. If you plan to use a tweeter, the illuminators are the better choice. If you don't, then the 12m rev on axis is your best bet. Objectivity included, I wouldn't run either as a wideband and I've not been satisfied yet with any wideband sans tweeter and I've currently got some of the best wideband drivers I've heard yet in my car. So, consider me jaded on the ways of wideband. Just my opinion, though... not looking to start a flame war.

Of course, this is really all from memory so feel free to check out Zaph's measurements yourself. His 12mu data is in his 'blog' section; the 12m revelator data is in his regular portion of the site.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey man, I just wanted to say I really appreciate what you're doin here with the klippels.

Without hobbyists that go the extra mile, the rest of us ordinary hobbyists wouldn't get an oppprtunity to compare drivers with anything beyond 'this one sounds sweet' :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Since we're on the testing 4" drivers how about we give the SB Acoustics SB12NRXF25-4 a go? I'm curious to see if the 4" behaves anything like it's bigger brother. If you can't get your hands on any "Bikin" LMK and I will send some your way. BTW thanks for everything you're doing here, if you're ever in the "great white north" give me a shout and the beer's on me.:laugh:

·
18,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I was going to order those next but since I haven't been able to sell the SB 6.5" set I ordered to test, my money is still tied up.

If you're willing to cover shipping both ways or if anyone here will donate some $ to the cause, I'll be happy to test them. Otherwise it'll have to wait until I can free up funds.

FWIW, my shipping zip is 35603, USA.

·
18,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I was going to order those next but since I haven't been able to sell the SB 6.5" set I ordered to test, my money is still tied up.

If you're willing to cover shipping both ways or if anyone here will donate some $ to the cause, I'll be happy to test them. Otherwise it'll have to wait until I can free up funds.

FWIW, my shipping zip is 35603, USA.

·
18,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Again, thanks for the effort. Maybe I will send something your way if you are up to it?
As long as you can guarantee the condition is at least LNIB, I'm game.

Honestly, right now I'm interested in Dyn products. But shoot me a pm. Make sure to read my post above though.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Hearing that makes it more worthwhile to perform these tests.
Then here's more feedback- THANKS!

It's Greatly appreciated by those of us "lurking" and garnering the benefits of this forum in the hopes of replicating those who are ragingly successful on here :cool:

·
18,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That'll work. Actually, since those got such high reviews by Jerry during his midrange shootout, that would be perfect. Would be nice to compare and see if the data shows just why they may have performed so well in their listening test.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts