• Mms = 16.4284 g
  • Cms = 953.6699 uM/N
  • Kms = 1048.5808 N/M
  • Rms = 0.5842 R mechanical
  • Efficiency = 0.3591 %
  • Sensitivity= 87.5700 dB @1W/1m
  • Sensitivity= 91.4953 dB @2.83Vrms/1m
Klippel Calculated Displacement Limits:
  • X Bl @ Bl min=82% 11.6 mm = Displacement limit due to force factor variation
  • X C @ C min=75% 9.1 mm = Displacement limit due to compliance variation
  • X L @ Z max=10 % >12.6 mm = Displacement limit due to inductance variation
  • X d @ d2=10% 37.1 mm = Displacement limit due to IM distortion (Doppler)
Sample Klippel Data:

Driver Picture:

This driver is flat out unreal. The symmetry is almost perfect for a stroke of it's size, and the most limiting xmax is 9.2mm. Bl is 11.9mm.
The Cms curve is nearly perfectly symmetrical. Bl has a small shift

I had to push this driver hard to get Bl to resolve. Most drivers will have one parameter resolve earlier than the other, and you have to push the other parameter a bit harder in the 'protection' parameter to get it to resolve. The low end of the latter is typically in the 30-40% range. Frankly, I don't like pushing a driver below 30% anyway because it really starts to get nasty; as in, I'm waiting for the cone to jump off the surround and fly through my room. Although Cms resolved around 50%, I had to push this driver down to 25% Cms (which is entering territory I typically feel unsafe doing because you are seriously pressing the stroke) to get Bl to resolve and give you guys a useful number for it. What blew my mind is that while this driver was under test at this level, it handled it just fine. I've honestly not had a driver yet that could get either of its parameters down this low and not sound like it was going to come apart. There is zero motor noise and some very slight popping of the coil, which you can't hear unless you're standing right in front of the driver at full output. I recorded this driver while being tested and made sure to video the settings on screen. Note that you'll see the Cms protection parameter hovering at 25% and you hear NOTHING from the driver while doing this.

CLICK TO WATCH VIDEO!

Not only does it fare EXTREMELY well mechanically, but the sensitivity of this driver is excellent for a non-pro-audio driver: 87.5dB @ 1w/1m!!

So, yea... to say I'm impressed by this driver is a terrible understatement. I've yet to test a driver that does this well. But, it certainly is not cheap. IMO it's worth every single penny, but to some the value may not be there. I just don't see how it couldn't be. ;)

- Erin

Attachments

·
18,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Erin,

I have been reading up on the Klippel data links you have provided and when I first saw the data you just posted, I thought I was misunderstanding so I was afraid to post. This driver tested amazingly! You better keep these things forever!

BTW, thanks for the great reading links you put out there. Sooner or later I should be able to get through and absorb it all. It does really help!!!

·
18,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Erin,

I have been reading up on the Klippel data links you have provided and when I first saw the data you just posted, I thought I was misunderstanding so I was afraid to post. This driver tested amazingly! You better keep these things forever!

BTW, thanks for the great reading links you put out there. Sooner or later I should be able to get through and absorb it all. It does really help!!!
Thanks for the kind words.

Yea, these are absolutely not leaving the car now. No fuggin' way. :D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I almost pulled the trigger on these earlier this year! Wouldn't fit in my shallow ass doors though :mean:

Nice to see that they were as nice as I thought they would be. Thanks for taking the time to do these tests... we all appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Wow, completely decimated the competition. I think it is unreal how much better speaker technology has gotten in the last few years. This midbass sets the curve.

Not sure if Scan Speak should have even given it more suspension stroke. At that point it's so freaking linear it jumps the gap and you wouldn't even know it. :)

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
As a matter of fact you did push the driver past it's limits. From Scan Speak's white sheet: Max mech. excursion ± 16 mm.

You drove it to 16.2. I guess you do whip the speakers if they are yours. Hardcore, me likes. :rockon:

BTW, more than half a decade ago there was actually a better motor out there: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/665-resonant-engineering-xxx-7-a.html

RE just never bothered to make a good suspension. That's what plagued their larger drivers as well.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Wow. I knew they would do well, but here I am, staring at the results in awe. And taking out mortgages to order some! (Well, not really, but I wish I could)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You are absolutely killing me! I have just gotten all of the drivers to put in an HE system and then the Illums deliver the goods. To tempt me further, I just got the current Low Efficiency system to work well. Before I take the HE plunge I need to get these into my car and see how I like them...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Alright. WHO CAN GET US A GROUP BUY ON THESE?

·
18,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just trying to see what people would pay. Maybe I can try to work out a group buy.

$300 each? $250? What's the max? Be realistic.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts