DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Well I decided to go over the passenger side of the car. Made some adjustments and covered up some frame holes.

I decided to add a mlv layer below the Thinsulate 600L, luxury MLV, that I already had.

I need to buy some more Thinsulate and cover the rear passenger cabin floor and throw another mlv layer on top.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
First, great screen name, love it.

Second, wow your effort to deaden a Scion are amazing. Speaking from experience all Toyotas/Scions have horrible rattles and noise. I can't believe you were able to achieve the results you have

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Well today I added a second layer of mlv onto of the existing mlv and Thinsulate on the driver's side.

I ran mlv along inside of the whole center console on the sides.

Supplies have dried up, I am out of Thinsulate and low on mlv.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I tested a 2018 Toyota Camry XLE V6 and drove my normal commute. Pretty impressed. No acoustic windshield or side glass.

2018 Camry 65mph fresh pavement: 63-64db

Older smooth pavement: 67-70db

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I'd like to drive the 2019 Toyota Avalon limited with acoustic windshield and side glass to compare.

Next on my list, is the Acura RLX with rear acoustic glass like the LS460L, Kia k900, Hyundai Equus, and Genesis G90.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I'm thinking aerodynamic drag come into play as well as acoustic belly panels. A pillar mirror removal and hidden windshield wipers too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
I haven't had any chance to buy or deaden the rear passenger floor with Thinsulate and an extra layer of MLV or deaden the wheel wells.

I bought a high grade decibel meter to re-measure more accurately. On fresh pavement I am seeing 65-66db at 60 mph

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I decided to check on my tire upgrade options. I didn't realize my current Michelin tires are the performance version of the base tires! The tread contact patch is 8.2"! on a 225/45/18. That's crazy wide compared to the average of 7.2" for the quietest tires on the market for pirelli, Michelin, and Bridgestone.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I haven't had an update in a while on here.

Previously I was achieving 65-67db on fresh pavement at 60mph. I ran the test with all Lanes freshly paved and saw a dip to 63-65db with no AC and tires at correct PSI.

I am officially done with the car and cannot improve upon it anymore. One thing leads to another issue.

Fender liner deadening can't be implemented due to having only asphalt and adhesive. I see no point in covering front and top of fenders, when the sound comes through the firewall.

I have the option of putting back the stock exhaust on. Improvement would be pretty small honestly. But worth a try.

Otherwise I'll post my sonic measurements with Umik-1 microphone and Rew this week.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I haven't posted lately, but I'm still at it. I'm lining the floor and firewall with MLV and Thinsulate. I've gotta line the the rear quarter panels with thinsulate over existing mlv.
That thinsulate must compress quite a bit for that carpet/panels to go back on.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Well I took my door panels apart to see how they were holding up inside. Inner door skin looked good and MLV was still in place. Water drainage was my main concern after installing.

I'm focusing on adding Thinsulate around the speaker drivers and sealing them to the door cards now. Thinking of using mlv cylinders to achieve this.

My conclusion is don't buy aluminum tape or use it anywhere! All it does is peal off and shrivel up. The best tape is 3m double sided. It's noiseless and doesn't crinkle or squeak like other tape.

Attachments

·
Vendor
10 Posts
That thinsulate must compress quite a bit for that carpet/panels to go back on.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
As a supplier of 3M Thinsulate, I can tell you that it can be compressed. We do have a couple of different thicknesses (42mm, 26mm and 8mm) available and plan to stock a 12-13mm version in the near future.

All the best,
Hein
Impact Products, Inc.
Hood River, OR
541 490 5098

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Well I gave up on trying to use CCF speaker rings. Turned into a big headache and couldn't put the door panel on no matter what I did. Kept binding and couldn't find a compromise.

The only solution would be to relocate the tweeters. Tolerances are tight in the doors as it is and uneven throughout.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I've got something burning somewhere. I think some Thinsulate must have gotten on the binding posts. For some reason I can't smell it in the car, but only smell it outside after driving on the right rear.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts