DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have started using Scotchbrite pads as sound insulation/deadener in my speakers and have found it to work quite well, as expected. The next question is how to keep it in place, glue or staples? A third idea also keeps popping into my vacuum chamber, and that is using tension, or more accurately, compression. By getting the Scotchbrite in a large sheet and cutting it properly, it should fit and hold itself in place just by using an interference fit. Basically you cut it one or two inches larger than the inside circumference of the box and squeeze it in, it should hold in by itself. Another idea just hit me,; Velcro !
Problem is I have not found any large sheets of Scotchbrite bigger than 8" x 11".

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Why on earth use an expensive material like Scotchbrite pads though? I line my boxes on the inside with denim/jute radiant barrier, and I use Sprayway Fast Tack 92 which I get from a local upholstery supply store for a fair price. Same I use on CCF, carpet, etc. (pretty much anything except vinyl which gets HHR landau roof cement.)

Are you after surface area? Or wanting the fibers to wiggle to dissipate the backwave (thus making the box sound larger)?

·
Registered
18,416 Posts
when DIY goes too far..

Just use closed cell foam. Its cheaper and better

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just happened to have a bunch of sheets laying around and used them. I like to try stuff and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Those water soluble type of packing peanuts probably would change the sound...
It would be interesting to know for sure.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I just happened to have a bunch of sheets laying around and used them. I like to try stuff and see what happens.

I can definitely appreciate applications like this. This is how I found the radiant barrier to work so well. Well, if you have the ability to measure it, I'd say make a box without it, measure, and then with it and measure, and let's see what it does. As far as attachment method, Scotchbrite is an unknown medium so I'd say use contact adhesive and mild stapling (J.I.C.) and see where she goes...hopefully nowhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts