DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure I am not the first to have this happen, feel stupid. I picked up a Boston 10.5LF on craigslist. It wasn't possible to demo it before buying (never doing that again, should have walked). Got home and hooked it up, it just rattles and the cone barely moves. I assume it is fubar. Called the guy and he just hung up on me, what a dick. Thanks for listening to me vent. I am only out $50, so not too bad. I have a 0.5 cuft box, anyway...

Moral of the story, make sure it works before handing over the cash.

·
Registered
222 Posts
dont feel bad..happened to me with a idq12:D its perty but dont sound so good, lol

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yep, Invest in a DMM for testing subs, If you cant or have no way to test meet the seller at a local stereo shop flip a 5 or 10 spot to one of the employee's there and have them test it.

Hard lesson to learn but atleast it was a small amount. I would keep calling the ******* back imo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I told myself this morning to bring my fluke with and forgot. Got home and it measured 4.6 ohms (I think the specs say 3. something DC resistance). Anyone know what might be wrong with it? Just curious, I know it isn't worth fixing.

Anyone know a good 10 inch sub that will work in a 0.5 cuft box? Box is fairly well made.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Post some photos and if you can maybe a video. Really hard to pin point the issue.

Might call Boston and see how much and if it is possible to get a recone.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Oh geez, that had to be a very prolonged, very nasty signal being fed to that poor subwoofer :(

·
Registered
510 Posts
well, my suggestion still stands, credencespeakers.com

they tout many a small sealed sub. check out their clearance section too.

·
Registered
330 Posts
She is dead Jim!

Did you bend the coil former or was that damage there when you pulled it apart?

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
well, my suggestion still stands, credencespeakers.com

they tout many a small sealed sub. check out their clearance section too.
I like how they list zero information about the speakers other than the enclosure size. I personally like more specs than that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is why I tend to stay away from Craigslist when it comes to things that I can't "test" right away.

Sucks, but good thing it was only $50 and not more.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I like how they list zero information about the speakers other than the enclosure size. I personally like more specs than that.
i don't know if the site was recently updated, but it seems that now even the clearance corner has t/s specs provided. you should navigate to their full product lists you will notice t/s specs. you do not want to go to the online store, that is where mostly recommended box sizes are listed.

i must say that when viewing that site, internet explorer seems to work best.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I would take it back to him and "reinstall it" through the window of his car :D

you can see the bent former too. that thing was bottoming out and being overpowered.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Def call Boston.. When I had a warranty claim on a 12.5lf I drove there, and they swapped it for brand new.

I had one reconed too, I think it was $90 - This was 8 or 9 years ago tho.

Worth it in the end because those LF's sound great!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts

Since the sub was screwed, I decided to see what was wrong. I think this voicecoil was abused a little.
Oh boy know the feeling. O had the same problem with idmax sub. I called the company and they will send me replacement kit for free. But the cone looked like yours but burned like crazy. I bought my sub new from dealer and used it for about 3 weeks. The sub was a defect it had a cracked spider thats what caused it to sound like ****..
Sent from my DROID BIONIC usingTapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts