DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking care of the small details for my planned audio build.

For my two 8" subwoofers into 3/4 inch MDF... What is the best fastening system.

If wood screws, what size and thread?

What about T-Nuts, Ive heard bad and good things.

I think I'm leaning towards threaded inserts, but I don't know what size to use. 1/4-20? 10-32? M6? What are people using and what is your preferred fastener? Hex cap bolts? 1-1/4" long enough?

· Registered
1,408 Posts
10-32 x 1-1/4" is the ideal size.

1st choice

2nd choice

· Registered
2022 Subaru WRX Premium 6-speed
852 Posts
I've got a fiberglass enclosure in my car and the manufacturer recommended to use T nuts instead of threaded inserts. And thinking about it i agree with their recommendation. The t nut effectively "sandwiches" the speaker and baffle together, there's no way for that to fail. They also advised to put a little glue to the mating surface of the t nut to the baffle, so if you have to remove the speaker for some reason, it won't be able to fall out when you remove the screw.

The threaded nuts i really liked the idea of but I've read that they can loosen up or back out some of you remove the speaker at some point. Not sure how much of an issue that really is but it seems plausible.

As for good or wood screws, nothing wrong with them at all, heck most subs come with a pack of them to use to mount the speaker. Tried and true but if you have to remove the speaker you run the risk of the screw hole getting wallowed out if removed repeatedly.

Another option are "hurricane" nuts, similar to t nuts but a bit more stout looking in material and design. I believe McMaster carries them.

They are all good nothing options just pick what's best for your use. I ended up with the t nuts as i had them handy if not I'd probably have gone with the hurricane nuts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,480 Posts
I’ve used t-nuts for decades with no issues. Install them straight and put a touch of anti-seize on the bolts and forget about them. I like socket head cap screws with a split lock washer…never an issue with those either.

· Registered
4,319 Posts
Taking care of the small details for my planned audio build.

For my two 8" subwoofers into 3/4 inch MDF... What is the best fastening system.

If wood screws, what size and thread?

What about T-Nuts, Ive heard bad and good things.

I think I'm leaning towards threaded inserts, but I don't know what size to use. 1/4-20? 10-32? M6? What are people using and what is your preferred fastener? Hex cap bolts? 1-1/4" long enough?
I use #10x24 stainless button head (allen) machine screws and t-nuts (hurricane nuts). A lot of people recommend the t-nuts that require brads because they don't spin in the hole. With a proper sized hole (press fit) and a drop of super glue none of them will spin.

· Registered
1,853 Posts
I build once and leave it. So I just use wood screws. If you're constantly changing out subs with the exact same hole spacing, then sure, something else may be better in that application. But I feel like most people who constantly tinker like that build new boxes for the new subs. Midramges it might make more sense for inserts, but again, they have to have the same screw spacing to be useful...

· Premium Member
7,703 Posts

I like the Allen key ones…
Rockler etc sells them.

You might need 1/4”, 5/16 etc (or metric), and they have all flavours.

. I like socket head cap screws with a split lock washer…never an issue with those either.
If it is high vibration (like a truck), then Nordlock washers may be useful.

· Registered
11,370 Posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.