DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nuts, that didn't take long. The quantity tab went to at least 12 or 15 when I ordered one earlier in the day. Not surprised though, all the other cheap ones are out of stock too.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's one hell of a sale. The originally referenced 2TB Seagate is on the BB site today for $144.99.

Cheapest 2TB INTERNAL drive at Micro Center here in town is now $149.99, cheapest external $144.99.

Seems like the computer-only retailers are tracking the price increases a bit more quickly than the big box stores.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Beware of the click of death with segates 2tb as of late guys.
. they have had some serious quality control issues with the 2tb and 3tb drives this last year.

Nice price though

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's my plan for the 2TB one as well. I've got 6 hotswap SATA trays with a backplane built into my tower. For me, this will just be a backup drive, I suspect it is fairly slow for use as the boot drive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
. they have had some serious quality control issues with the 2tb and 3tb drives this last year.

Nice price though
Frealz...imagine putting a ton of data on there only to have it go kaput.

2 TB is a helluva lot of data to recover. :eek:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nice price though
Yep I got a 2tb and less than 4 hours it DIED! I was pissed because I MOVED a ton of data and couldn't recover it.

I would suggest COPYING a ton of data deleting and copying it again to see if it will fail or not. If it doesn't have a problem with the first few copies it should be good to go for at least a year.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For me this is a rsync backup drive for an existing 1.5TB disk so I am not too worried. I'd have to lose the primary and backup drives simultaneously to have an issue.

The drive I ordered arrived today and I was shocked that inside the external case is a ST2000DM001, which is a 7200RPM 600MBps 64MB cache hdd. That was unexpected.

Cheapest I found the ST2000DM001 selling bare for was $165 plus shipping.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
****, i missed the deal !!!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best you can do now for this drive (that I've found) is Amazon for $127.99. Staples will price match that if one near you has it in stock. Apparently Wally World 'sold out' of them the same day I ordered it, the price is now substantially higher on their www site.

I've had zero issues with the drive. It's quiet and sustains 105MB/sec transfers from another SATA drive on my tower when connected to the internal SATA controller (running 64-bit Mint Linux). Some people say it runs quite hot in the factory external case, which I'd believe. Mine is in a fan-cooled 6-drive bay on the front of my tower so it's not really an issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts