DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pulled out the OEM front 6.5" speakers and plan to mount some aftermarket 6.5" in. The OEM's have a fairly thick foam weatherstripping built into the speaker\bracket.

I've dynamatted the inside and outer skin of the door and I'm ready to mount. I've purchased an aftermarket scoshe bracket made for my car and a set of "baffles".

When I started to mount, I noticed there is a small air gap between the bracket and the speaker and then another small gap between the bracket and the car door.

I believe I've seen photos of installs where there is a white putty looking substance around the edges....probably as a sealant???

A) Should I seal the edges some how?
B) With what?

C) Should these baffle things be used? They seem like they would be fairly restrictive to air availability for the speaker?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
ya, dont leave those leaks. it will kill midbass response. dont know what other people have used, put plain 'ol plumbers putty works good. it never dries (stays pliable) and it is water proof, so it works good in a door.

those baffles can be used as a rain hood, but I would take an exacto and cut the bottom 1/2 off of it. if your speaker was not designed for a sealed enclosure, it will not work well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
X2 on cutting the bottom half out of those rain hats.

I believe the 'white stuff" is non hardening clay, usually found at art supply stores. There are many posts on this forum with info (pics too) just gotta drill down a little.

How big are the gaps? Would thin weatherstripping fill in the difference?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts