DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't know man, this stuff seems to be nothing more than rubberized undercoating. You can get the undercoating for what 4-5 bucks a can versus 20 for that.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
isnt that what dynamat is besides the aluminum foil?
Nope, Not even close.

The reputable companies.. sds, ss, dynamat, etc spend money and research on finding the best composition for the butyl. It is designed to have a good ratio of transference vs adhesive. You want it to stay stuck, but be able to transfer energy to the constraining layer (foil). Lol not to mention be durable, withstand repeated heating and freezing, and continue to be effective. It's a pretty fine balance they have to make.

So, comparing it to rubberized under coatings is a far stretch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So whats is the prefered method of sealing. unfortunately cab corners I cant fit much in there hence the spray on option. expandable foam?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I used rubberized spray on bedliner in my Silverado and it worked very well. About 7 bucks a can.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
What do you mean by sealing? Are you talking filling panels and sealing off holes, or sealing surfaces from moisture, rubbing, etc?

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
If your looking for a liquid deadener, spectrum from second skin works well. It can be sprayed or brushed on.
It will give you the deadening properties that a bed liner type spray won't. But I'm not sure how resistant to rubbing and impacts it would be in comparison. Depends on what your wanting more... If it's for panel resonance, go for specific deadening product. If it's for wear resistance then a bed liner product would be better.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
sound deadening
In my experience, you have better luck with mat deadening. Placed in the center of large flat panels, mat will be easier to install, and yield better results. Corners and convoluted areas don't need the treatments, because they are more structurally sound and don't vibrate.
The liquid is more time consuming to apply... Prep work, dry time, multiple applications, etc. It's great for harder to reach areas if your spraying it though. I think it would make a killer under coating, supplemented with cld/mat on the inside surface.
I also used my spectrum as a high build primer, of sorts, on my sub enclosure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts