DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current stereo project is still in progress, and I am currently trying to seal my doors and panels.

Here's a picture of the door, I was thinking about using MLV and velcroing it over the holes. Any advice? And where would you advise me to look if I must order the MLV off the internet?
Bare Door.jpg

I am also trying to seal the door panel. I want to reupholster the carpeted insert with some vinyl, but first I thought I'd seal the hole for the trash compartment. The panel is plastic so could any of you suggest what I could use to seal that hole?
Actual Door.jpg

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
My current stereo project is still in progress, and I am currently trying to seal my doors and panels.

Here's a picture of the door, I was thinking about using MLV and velcroing it over the holes. Any advice? And where would you advise me to look if I must order the MLV off the internet?
View attachment 30613

I am also trying to seal the door panel. I want to reupholster the carpeted insert with some vinyl, but first I thought I'd seal the hole for the trash compartment. The panel is plastic so could any of you suggest what I could use to seal that hole?
View attachment 30614

Thanks for your help!
Yes MLV will help, however what I did while I wait to buy MLV is I filled areas of the door with Sonicor... Bottom section of the thread...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-member-build-logs/102247-2008-chevy-equinox-build.html

·
Registered
355 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "sealing". To me, that means covering the holes with thin sheetmetal or aluminum. Then dampening the inserts with a bit of dyanmat (or whatever; my generic term) and sealing around the edges with caulk or butyl rope.

You can fasten the patching plates with small stainless steel screws, pop rivets or even JB Weld. It's up to you to determine how easy you want your access in case the window mechanism, door lock or whatever breaks.

Then you can cover the entire inner skin with your MLV however you want. Little screws, HD velcro, maybe even sparaty adhesive. I'd go for little screws and washers myself, but then again I'm way behind on my schedule, so I don't have any evidence little screws and washes will work.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my window motors are going to need replacing in the somewhat near future, otherwise I'd just rivet sheet metal over them and silicone them. So I'm pretty set with velcroed MLV as my "seal" for the door for the time being. Where would you guys suggest looking for the MLV? I've yet to find it locally.

As far as the door panel insert is concerned, I have no leads on what I should do to fill in the hole. If any of you could suggest some methods I'd appreciate it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts