DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got everything i need for the setup I want, and it is 99% installed, Eclipse avn6620 + Infinity Kappa 6.5 Components + Infinity Kappa 6X9's + A 5 channel infinity refrence amp + a 12 inch pioneer sub that I bought off a guy in the box for 20 bucks and haven't gotten around to updating it yet.

Anyway, my question is when tuning, the amp has the standard gain knobs but in addition it also has frequency knobs. To get the most out of my system should i set the frequency levels exactly to the specs on the individual speakers? For example I've got the components running through the built in high pass filter, should i set the frequency to the highest or lowest frequency number the speakers are capable of? I've got the 6X9's running through the low pass and have the frequency set a little bit higher than "sub-level" because they are punchy enough to make a decent sound of bass drums and instruments of that nature while listening to to faster "punk rock," with the sub set pretty low to push the deep bass notes like while listening to hardcore gangster rap.

I've installed everything myself, I've done many before for friends, however I've never actually "tuned" before so if I could get ANY help at all here I would appreciate it. And if anyone else has any tips or advice I would love to hear it. Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Are you using the 6x9's as midbasses? Then you will want to play with the crossover region between them and the components. Pick a point at, or higher than, the lowest frequency the comps will play. A good rule of thumb is twice the "fs" spec for the component set.

This doesn't gaurantee the best sound. It's just a starting point. You might find your 6x9's sound better and your components are happier with a higher crossover point, i.e. more bass to the 6x9's.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
It's impossible to recommend crossover frequencies because it's so dependent on the install, the car and the listeners. There are some obvious things like not running a tweeter below it's stated spec, or trying to run a 4" down to 50hz and things like that, but you'll have to screw around with the settings to find out what works for you.

If you notice the component set starts to "pop" when driven hard you'll want to up the frequency on those. I'm assuming you are high passing the components and the 6x9's and that you'll be installing the sub for sub duty. I'd start out at about 80hz for the both sets and tweak from there.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
You need to find where the 6 x9 and components are happy playing where they're installed and the power they're getting.

Then work from there.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
One other thing....once you've a few systems...or tear out your system and start over....and believe me this will happen..... the basics of tuning will come naturally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. That's how I've set everything up this far, isolate each individual set of speakers and tweaking the amp (gain settings and frequency) until it sounds good and I have just about got it where I like it. I think that I just need help fine tuning and making it "PERFECT" you know. I would hate after all of the money and time I've spent on it, to not be getting full performance from it, performance not meaning loud and obnoxious, but crystal clear, the way music should be heard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.