DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I was reading this forum for a long time and finally i've decided to post.

I'm searching a 1din unit (i think 2din is possible too but i thought about mounting rux above the HU) that supports "FLAC"(not that necessary), BT and Time Correction (Time alignment)
I have separate DSP (Alpine PXA-H800)

Is it better to keep my Alpine 7894r and add to it AI-NET BT module or AUX or is it better to buy e.g. Alpine CDE-178BT even though i have separate DSP.

Is it good to stay with Alpine as DSP as it's from the same company or maybe i go should go with Kenwood/Sony/Pioneer?

I'd be glad for any of your ideas.

---------------------------------------------------
The setup will be (Hyundai i30 2007r)
Front: Macrom by Morel 59.17 Woofer (2x100) and Steg SQ 32 tweeter (2x50)
Back: Infinity Reference 6532i
DSP: Alpine PXA-H800 & RUX-C800
Amplifier: Denon DCA800 for front speakers and Denon DCA-3180 for back
HU: Unknown yet ;-;
Additional: Phantom DPC-1.2F capacitor

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
That DSP has time alignment as well, so the new HU doesn't necessarily need it.

Your current HU is a good model, just dated and from what I'd heard about the BT module (at least back when I used a 9833), it's not all that good.

Really, given you have the DSP, I'd for sure go with a newer HU with more modern features.

What sort of budget have you for the new unit.

Last I knew, the Pioneer DEH-80PRS was hard to beat for single DIN units. Main thing I dislike about it though is the lack of being able to search vis ID3 tags.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X702
Pioneer DEH-80PRS

The eXcelon would be my personal first and last choice. But I am a Kenwood fan boy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for replies

As you said @Weigel21 my DSP indeed has Time Alignment so...
If you're saying that BT is not a "good quality" option then i'll check the AUX cable -> AI-Net is it worth or not.
(Maybe i'll try and let you know about Yatour option for BT exactly for this series? -> aliexpress .com/item/32358700510.html

Budget is about 300$ so Pioneer DEH-80PRS is an option but there's no FLAC support in this unit.

I'll check the Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X702 cause it's good looking FLAC supporting HU. I don't know about quality because reviews on amazon are mixed.

I've heard that Alpine > Pioneer when it comes to sound quality.
Someone can confirm that?

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
The Pioneer 80PRS is going to be about the best sound quality that you can get, unless you upgrade to the P99RS. But, if you using an external DSP, most of the features that make those 2 head units great will go to waste.

I'd just find a new single din that has modern bluetooth, and the functionality that you want. FLAC is great and all, but FLAC isn't really any better than any other lossless format, except for being a bit better with file sizes. Programs like DBPoweramp make it super easy to convert your music to any format you want.

Reviews will always be mixed, and almost always unreliable. People swap head units, make no adjustments and claim one sounds much better, or worse than another. These reviews should not be trusted. Pick a good brand (Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine) and choose the head unit that has the features you want. The signal from any of them will make far less of a difference (if any at all) than what you do to tune with the DSP.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Yeah, no FLAC support, only WAV, though storage space is hardly an issue these days with how cheap one can buy flash drives of 32GB and larger.

However, as stated, as advanced as the pioneer's DSP is for a HU, it's redundant given you have an external DSP.

That said, I too will agree that buying a HU with the format support you prefer, as well as a search method you like (I like being able to search by ID3 tags), and ease of use of the unit, etc. etc. are more important at this point in time.

I've liked Pioneer and Alpine over other brands myself, still running a CDA-117, though I have an 80PRS for the "new to me" car I just picked up last week.

It's quite difficult to make a claim that one brand sounds better than another when it's all personal preference. I'd strongly recommend sampling various HUs locally and see which has the best to you user interface.

The sound can be a moot point, but you can find if a certain brand tends to produce a sound you prefer over others. Generally, speakers and the vehicles acoustic properties will have a greater effect on sound, but you can always EQ to shape the response more to your liking. Pioneer units do tend to (IMO) produce a warmer sound with stronger mid-bass, while Alpine tends to have a more natural sound, but that often seemed "lifeless" to me. Either way, both HUs always needed EQing to sound how I wanted.

·
Registered
720 Posts
178bt is an excellent headunit! As used in my car and several high level Emma competitors cars, I swapped from a pioneer 8700dab and the top end detail is way better... if you had focal tweeters I would say use a pioneer, but something neutral use an alpine

The choice of headunit depends on taste and also the system surrounding it, to just pick one based on features alone is doing any system a massive injustice

Tbh I think it’s a case of try a pioneer and see how it sounds with eq and time alignment applied, not sure why you need time alignment in a headunit when using a dsp though?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@dumdum Yes, indeed there's TA in my DSP so i don't need it in HU. My mistake.

I'll check both Pioneer DEH-80PRS and Alpine 178BT and will tell you if there's any differences between those HU in "sound"!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts