DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
the xls has twice the linear movement....just get it :)

and glassing skills? you making door pods...or putting it in kicks???

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the midbass will be glassed in

the 9" around will make it a bit difficult--since im not cutting my metal up lol

well see though still measuring

I may have to bring the face of the woofer out 1" and then taper it back down to the size of the stock panel

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Is the XLS 8" really bigger? I thought it was a standard 8" with truncated top and bottom frame making it smaller...

That Seas driver isn't bad at all, but it's missing 2 critical things the Peerless has. Namely, it has an 18mm tall coil in a 6mm gap vs. 26mm coil for Peerless in an 8mm gap. That's almost 50% longer coil, in a longer magnetic gap = more, cleaner bass otuput.

Also, the Peerless uses dual aluminum shorting rings which lower inductance and non-linear distortion.

Compare prices, and see which one is the better deal as a dedicated mid/bass...

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the peerless xls 8" has a outer diameter that is

225 mm (8.9 inches) Whooooaaa

the cutout is

190 mm (7.5 inches)

which is not bad but the, but the basket doesnt taper till its almost to the magnet--kinda like the dynaudio basket

so you need 7.5" hole unless you have a HUGE door pod

at least thats what Im seeing from all the measurements I have done

and just in case the depth is

90 mm (3.54 inches)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Ouch that is big LOL. :)

I just setup a guy who replaced his 6x9's in the rear with XLS 8's, and then he's using 2 XXLS subs in the trunk. For some weird reason the bass does a pretty decent job of imaging upfront on most music, and we set the lowpass on those mids at 150hz :)

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I've actually found that it to be the case fairly often that the combination of steep filters, a well-treated interior, and high quality parts allows a crossover that's much higher allows the best combination of up-front focus and intensity. Obviously, how high you can go with the sub crossover depends on the sub and the size of the interior. In my home listening room I can't stand a subwoofer that plays much above 60Hz, filtered steeply, but in a VW Polo up to 200Hz works surprisingly well.

I guess Richard Clark's been saying that for over a decade, but I didn't believe it myself until on a lark I tried it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
npdang said:
Ouch that is big LOL. :)

I just setup a guy who replaced his 6x9's in the rear with XLS 8's, and then he's using 2 XXLS subs in the trunk. For some weird reason the bass does a pretty decent job of imaging upfront on most music, and we set the lowpass on those mids at 150hz :)
How did he mount them in the 6x9 cutouts? I'm thinkin of doing the same that's why I'm asking. BTW, I have a 99 Accord Coupe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.