DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
J/w to those out there who use the Seas CA18's if yall have had a few of the same problems as i have.

Major problem being around 1.6k-3k the rise in response needing to be toned down enough for a flat midrange, without any excessive peaks. (might possibly be comb filtering with respect to my tweet, or massive reflections.)

Also lack of info below 80hz with any sort of authority.

Right now i'm running them at 63hz with a 18db slope on them, and up top 2.5k with 24db slope, if i use 24db on top i get more power to the low end, but up tops its peakier, if i use 18db it smoothes it out a little, but less midbass. 18db sounds best for integration to tweets, but 24db sounds best overall with major eqing from 1.6k-2.5k (-3db down at 2.5k). I'm really wondering whats up with them, there supposed to have really flat response curve as tests have shown, but with some songs the midrange is really harsh, not that harsh really, but enough at louder volumes that it hurts me. I might just be really sensative to that region, but i dunno. I have [email protected] running to each. There mounted IB low in my tC's doors. The more i listen to my HT the more it sounds better to me than my car......I'm confused as to what is wrong.

Is it that the tracks i'm playing are that bad of quality that it just sounds so horrible on a high def setup? Or am i haveing some wierd ass response problems? I can't explain the sound at all. Am i needing to relevel match and such with my tweets to get it to sound right or something....confused here.

·
Registered
415 Posts
try using a lighter slope (second) with a lower xover for the mid.

also try separating the mid and tweet xover points, further then you normally might think they should be (to where it sounds best to you - your basically using your xover points and driver intergration like an eq)

for the bass part, try ~150 @ 8 ohms RMS, and those things will rock!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where i have it right now, seems the fullest, flatest non peaky sound. Thats with the above xover points and slopes, and EQing and such. It sounds pretty good, i'll say slight bit of detail is lost but i'd rather have a little less detail than a peaky headache.

I'm thinking of trying my other 2.400 on them to see if i like it. If i can find the room to fit another amp, and see how [email protected] works with them.

BTW if i use a lighter slope with the amount of power i have on them then i loose the impact and tightness of midbass, because power is being used higher than before, so less power for the lower range. Right now i think i have a good flat setting to work from, so i'll mess around with some new settings, and keep these as my presets.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm sure you already know this, but make sure to flatten the EQ while trying different points and slopes. Once you find the best point, then use your EQ.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I think you need to get rid of the CA18s and try something else in their place...btw...sell them to me!

·
Registered
397 Posts
CA18s mounted on my doors produced peaks in the ff. frequencies:

250-315hz
1khz

installing a deflex pad helped a lot to tame those peaks

my bandpass xover pt is from 80hz (12db) to 3.2khz (6db)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
It's always going to sound better in the home :)

Basswise, do you have the door sealed off? Did you check polarity between the mids?

Midrange... are you sure it's the mid that's peaky? Try shutting off your tweeter and listening to the mid fullrange with no crossover. Where are you eq'ing?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not talking about in home, i'm primarily talking about car use and response.

I have plenty of isolation b/w front and back wave, plenty deadened for now. Polarity is checked, actual phased to sound best overall in the drivers seat. Its definently the upper midrange on the mid thast peaky, tweets are smooth as silk.

I'm EQing from 1~1.5k-2.5k for flatest sounding response. I will mess around some more with my EQing to see if i'm right about the peakyness range but failry sure thats it. Oh Mark K's and Zaph's testing there is a slight rise in that region as well, mabey reflections are making the rise so much more pronounced, or i just don't have enough power for lower midbass region. Who knows.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Have you listened to the mid by itself and determined this? Just humor me... It could be an interaction between the mid/tweet.

You can't compare anechoic response with in-car response. It's just very wrong to assume that anything you see there will be reflected in the in-car response.

But eq at 1-2.5khz is typical for most cars. Diffraction, reflections, all kinda nasty stuff. Could be a huge dip somewhere that makes it appear like a peak at those frequencies, could be your crossover accentuates frequencies at that range.

My car eq settings: huge wide q cut at 200hz, and a mild high q cut at 1khz, and a very broad cut at 2-5khz.

·
Registered
415 Posts
npdang said:
It's always going to sound better in the home :)
Try tellin the guys over at ECA that.. They think if you put bad sound speakers in the car, itll make them sound better!

..lol!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts