DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, thanks for the guys who've already answered some of my earlier questions. I've surfed this forum for a while, but never actually joined for some reason, but I'm able to post finally! :>)

I'm trying to decide on drivers right now, and since i'm on a budget, I'm torn between going with a cheaper woofer, expensive tweeter, or expensive woofer, cheaper tweeter combo. Here's what my requirements are: 6.5-7" driver in my doors, and I need a compact tweet...

I was looking at Seas woofers (or maybe even npdang's custom speaker when it comes out) models CA18RNX, G18RNX, L18RNX, or the new, more expensive nextel coated woofer model W18NX. Which woofer would you guys go with?

Also, I'm looking for a matching tweet, I was thinking of going with the Seas Lotus reference if I go with a more expensive tweet, but if I go with the Excel W18NX model, is there a cheaper tweet that could replace the Lotus reference tweet?

Also, if you'd like to suggest a different woofer, I'm still open to suggestions. Being on a budget sucks! I just don't want to spend $800 on a DIY setup!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the mis-type, I meant the more expensive tweet would be the lotus reference tweet......( I typed less expensive woofer, what was I thinking....lol)

xencloud said:
Hi all, thanks for the guys who've already answered some of my earlier questions. I've surfed this forum for a while, but never actually joined for some reason, but I'm able to post finally! :>)

I'm trying to decide on drivers right now, and since i'm on a budget, I'm torn between going with a cheaper woofer, expensive tweeter, or expensive woofer, cheaper tweeter combo. Here's what my requirements are: 6.5-7" driver in my doors, and I need a compact tweet...

I was looking at Seas woofers (or maybe even npdang's custom speaker when it comes out) models CA18RNX, G18RNX, L18RNX, or the new, more expensive nextel coated woofer model W18NX.........Which woofer would you guys go with?

Also, I'm looking for a matching tweet, I was thinking of going with the Seas Lotus reference if I go with a more expensive tweeter, but if I go with the Excel W18NX model, is there a cheaper tweet that could replace the Lotus reference tweet?

Also, if you'd like to suggest a different woofer, I'm still open to suggestions. Being on a budget sucks! I just don't want to spend $800 on a DIY setup!

·
Registered
242 Posts
what type of music do you listen to? And are you a bass head? If you are a basshead how much power do you have?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a cheap tweeter. Why not look at the Dayton 7"? That is a nice mid, so I hear, and it will not make you break the bank.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, by cheap tweet, I don't mean REAL cheap, just cheaper than the Seas Lotus reference tweet, which are pretty pricey for a pair.

I listen to mostly rock and electronica, but I really listen to lots of stuff. I don't really want the most bass, but I do enjoy a speaker that I can crank up and get some great output out of. That's why I was really interested in that new SEAS nextel driver, b/c of the excursion figures, seems like it could really put out if you need it to, but then stay very accurate for everyday listening.

If I can get away with not using a sub, that would be great. I want to keep the weight down, and if I can stick a couple of 8" subs in my rear deck(they would have to perform well in an infinite baffle situation though), that would be ideal. I'd like to have less weight, and more trunk if possible. My car will be heavily damped, I plan on spending a lot of cash getting my car to a vault-like level.

My original plan was to get the W18NX 7" woofers, and the Seas Lotus reference tweet, which I still might do, but if there's a cheaper alternative to the Lotus tweet, I'm all for it.

Reason I'm changing plans is because I like to power my speakers well, and to power 8 ohm drivers well takes a little more cash than what I expected, lol

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I know the LPG 25NFA is a popular choice, I wasn't sure if they'd match well with the W18NX woofer. Those would save me a load of cash over the lotus reference tweets. Are there any other suggestions? Morel, Scan-Speak, or Max Fi tweets maybe? Would any of those compare to the LPG?

I'm trying to stay with as compact dome because they would fit in my stock location (2002 Lexus IS300) and no custom work....

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Umm well going along with the norm on the board, i'll have to suggest the LPG26's, very detailed, slightly bright, and not harsh.....i love them, just bought another pair the NAFM's for my HT, and put them in last night. Very nice tweeter for the money. As far as midbass i'd love to try the Excel or G18, but can't, other than that i would deffinently suggest the CA18, and if you want to spend that extra go for the upper Seas Lines you won't regret it.

As far as other tweeters or other midbasses, Dayton Ref Dome is supposed to be nice and detailed, Maxfi Neo's, and a the like. Midbasses, Vifa PL's, Dayton Ref's, and Adire Extremis are a few of the better one's i've read about. I like the PL's a little bit, have them in my HT, and they sound pretty good, could have a little more detail in the midrange though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts