DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to use a 4 inch midrange in the kick area and was wondering if you guys have any preferences regarding these two. I've plotted both using WINISD for a sealed application and the Lotus driver surprisingly came out needing more air space than the EXCEL driver. The Excel needs roughly about .06 volume[ hardly any to sweat over] and the Lotus needed about .1 ft cubed. The EXCEL driver is substantially less expensive too[-$15} and even though it's 8 ohms I still will be able to give it about 75 watts from an amp that does 150 each channel at 4 ohms. These will be used in a active three way setup bandpassed HPF 300 hertz/ LPF 2 KH with 12 DB slopes.

Any advantage the Lotus driver might have over the EXCEL driver? The Excel driver has a bit bigger of a magnet and motor structure ,but not by much more. My goal with these kicks is to recess the mid as far into the kick area as possible with the proper airspace and to allow for a minimal footprint that will hardly be noticeable so passengers won't have to watch their feet. So far I'm going in the direction of the EXCEL driver. It's a little less efficient than the Lotus driver so the specs say, but I'm not worried about that.

Any opinions or advice will be great!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a W12 in my kicks. I personally think they sound warmer with holes in the kick opposed to keeping the kicks sealed. Great little speakers but I would go with the W15CH or CY or LY I think it is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I've had 5.25 in kicks before and I just felt if a 4 inch were there it would save space without the expense of performance since the 5.25's were midrange only. I'm sure there is a significant jump in magnet clearance going from the 4.5 to the 5.5 whish is another reason I don't wan't to back to a 5 inch mid. Again the whole goal is to recess the driver as far into the kick area as possible yet still keeping in mind airspace requirements will be met. I totally can empathize with the seal or not to seal kick dilemma. The kicks will be very stiff and will also have non drying modeling clay along the walls as well as a bit of wool stuffing. If I don't feel this will yield the best response I'll vent a 3 inch hole in the back of the panels and vent them into a cavity that hopefully won't cause any cancellation.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Doesn't the Lotus have better low end sensitivity? Other than that, it's more "weather" treated than the Excel version... which I've heard doesn't like humidity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts