DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been reading up a little and I would like to people's opinions on this topic. I believe the cones are different and I do know that you can find both without the large magnet. (I've seen pictures) Anything you can tell me about the difference between these two drivers would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the W15 also has a CH and CY version. I believe the CY is supposed to be a little more detailed. Am I way off? Thanks ahead of time for all of the help guys!

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Well, Imho the w15 cy measures better, but for some reason I like the sound of the CH slightly better, as in it's airier, more realistic.

I haven't heard the M15, but objectively it didn't perform worth it's price and I'm not a fan of poly cones (although you maybe).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wonder how these drivers measure once you start pumping more than a few watts through them closer to their power-handling max?

Any thoughts? ---> I've begun to suspect that the seas excel series doesn't respond well to power...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my car I feel that my W12's handle power rather well. With the music I listen to I feel that my tweeters start getting a little harsh before my W12's start degrading the sound. That is just my opinion though.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
If you notice with the Excel drivers, Seas always shows distortion plots taken at 96dbm. That's pretty loud. At higher volumes, they have a magnetic braking built into the motor to prevent damage.

·
Registered
524 Posts
npdang said:
If you notice with the Excel drivers, Seas always shows distortion plots taken at 96dbm. That's pretty loud. At higher volumes, they have a magnetic braking built into the motor to prevent damage.
Are Seas Lotus drivers similar in this regard?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Lotus line is very similar to the home line and they too have the prevention system. For those still interested, I have used the W15CH version in an MTM DIPOLED and it produces a very realistic image in front of me. It is extremely versatile in terms of frequency extension, and it gets VERY LOUD without any strain. Listening to different vocals I have heard in the past, it is obvious why some would not want the Excel drivers. They will give you what is on the recording, whether that is a shouting/screaming in your face vocal, or an invigorating drum solo. You hear what is on the recording...at least close enough;). I also listened to the W15CH inside an enclosure and the articulation of musical information is simply absurd. It is so detailed, clear, and exceptionally clean. The dynamic range of the driver is astonishing considering how smooth they sound. Some have mentioned them sounding "hard", but I find that the clarity and information you are hearing is so utterly revealing that instruments begin to sound real (as in a drum strike or guitar pluck sounds like one in real life) and you are no longer just seeing the guitar being plucked, but also feeling it. To my ears, the vocals and musical information is super smooth with instrumentation taking on a "hardness" because that's what instruments sound like in real life. The only downside with the Excel driver is its inability to play high, particularly with the W22 and W18. On axis response from the W18 is "ok" at best and IMO requires a dome or large sized ribbon to properly mate to it. The smaller W15 can extend and provide a lot of authority in the region the W18 and other larger Excel drivers simply drop off at. For me, I don't think there is a better sound than an MTM with W15's, a ribbon tweeter like the LCY or similar that has excellent dispersion (a smaller ribbon), and some nice bass units. The W15's will produce some very excellent bass, but with dipole and even in a sealed, I'd use them to about 120-200hz to achieve excellent results. With subs like the W7, Dayton Ref, Peerless XXLS, etc. etc. who needs a 5" or even 7" playing midbass anyways???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts