DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to redo my doors completely (better speaker mounting, angling, dampening and sealing more) and was wondering what would I except if I dropped these Excels in there instead my current Lotus drivers what I have been using for couple months? Both are 4ohm drivers and I'm running 2-way active front end + sub. They look kinda inefficient, but maybe Genesis Dual mono at 2x175W should do the job.

Excel W17E-Jam (made by Seas for Jamo Concert 8/11 speakers):
SPL 87dB
Fs 34Hz
VAS 29.5 liters
QMS 2.40
QES 0.37
QTS 0.32

Lotus PW165/1:
SPL 90dB
Fs 64Hz
VAS 8 liters
QMS 5.49
QES 0.65
QTS 0.58

Low qts and low fs = plays deeper but lacks upper midbass? I love those drivers in my Concert 8 speakers. Goes very low for bookshelf monitor and has unbelievable accurate and neutral midrange.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I can't opine on the comparison of these two drivers (I'm using the Lotus Refs, and I love them), but I really like the looks of those Excels.

Hopefully other members will be in a position to offer their experience with similar drivers (high quality home application drivers versus car application drivers) and insight into your question.

I'm sure many would suggest building the baffle and trying both sets to see what the perceived benefits and drawbacks are. Not sure if you are willing to make both sets 'used' or not, but listening would be the best deciding factor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thoughts. I'll build the baffles so I can swap both drivers in place and do comparision. Guess that is the only way to know for sure.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Taking a guess.....each mid might provide different benefits, maybe the Excels would be a bit better in the upper midrange....maybe the Lotus set would give better midbass snap or thicker low end kick. Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading the results of your experiment.

Running the 300.2 on the sub? I bet that is an awesome combination.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup 300.2 on sub. I reallly need a better battery! Everything below 30Hz or super fast drum kicks makes my lights flash.

The tempest is really a low end monster. Never knew 6 cu.ft / 27Hz enclosure can be so musical, but needs to be crossed at 50 or below. Not really shining in the upper notes, or atleast I can't make it work in W210 mercedes trunk that has gas tank right behind rear seats. Makes the bass too easy to locate if crossed too high.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I have the 200.2 running my 12" IB sub. I have it low passed at 50 Hz as well. It does a good job at blending with the front stage. I have been very impressed with the power output of the Mosconi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts