DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you Seas fans out there... just to let you know the G18RNX/P is now in stock. This is the fiberglass cone version of the CA18RNX or L18RNX/p. Essentially, it's a more detailed version of the CA18rnx, with a phase plug and priced at $65 each.

The difference is more open, lively midrange reproduction. The Seas CA18RNX is more forgiving, warm, softer, sounding. Compared to the L18rnx/p, the alum. cone is still the most detailed but with severe upper end breakup that could color the midrange if not properly taken care of.

Overall, this is a very well executed fiberglass cone, thin and stiff yet well dampened with no serious breakup issues and can be used up to 3khz.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I presume I cant return my still NIB box pair of CA18RNX then :cry: bad timing i guess

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's just a cone... won't affect the bass. Below 200hz or so these speakers are all pretty much identical in performance.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
mk1982 said:
so is the G18RNX completely superior to the CA18RNX, i almost purchased the CA18RNX today.
While I haven't heard the CA-cone Seas, I doubt that it'll be a clear case of one being superior to the other. Seas does a good job of editing the output of their development labs.

That said, I am familiar with the G18, and IMO it's another one of those drive-units (like the Vifa 10BGS) that's easily the equal or better of anything in its class yet somehow hasn't really caught on. I'd take it over the L-cone, because it's easier to use and philosophically I prefer no break-up peak to a notched-out breakup peak. However, we can't buy the best implementation of the Seas G-cone, which the custom Seas riff on the H1144 used in one of the top home speakers (except in the deep bass) available at any price today, the Gradient Revolution.

·
Registered
103 Posts
hmm..i might prefer this over the L18 as well. The upper-end breakup is tough for me to deal with...

If the bass response is even close to the L18, and with no break-up, this fiberglass woofer looks like a winner. The freq resp looks really good too. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts