DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, great site. Here is my situation I have custom built door panels to house dual 6.5" mids, the largest I can fit is 6.82". So I have read through this forum and ECA and have narrowed my choices to the Seas Lotus line, but the reference is 2x the price of the performance. I would like to use my ID mini pro horns and a supertweeter for the upper high frequencies. I would like to keep the price ~350.00 so that leaves me with either 4 Seas lotus performance or 2 Seas lotus reference. I will swing the other if all feel that would ultimately be best. So which has a warmer sound, better lowend extension, great detail and fairly easy to tune and image. :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
the Performance will sound warmer, handle the lower freq better but still have pretty damn good performance. It may not match the reference in terms of details and such, but they are still better than a lot of mids out there. I would definitely pick the performance over the reference in your situation.

IDhorns plus seas lotus reference= :(

Been there done that. They are different animals and will sound odd, at least to me it did.

·
Registered
250 Posts
you might be able to get away with the performance mids, but the reference and the idhorns are opposite.

IDhorns sounds warmer, while the lotus references are very airy and transparent. They are opposite of each other in sound. I messed with it before. Granted I didn't have the usual ID horn (I had cd3ultra), they didn't sound too great together.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Higher efficiency is a good thing (for the daily use standpoint). Just dont overboost frequency on the EQ and you'll be fine. My performance and reference mids are able to produce accurate sound without any stress. I have yet heard anyone who complained about the Seas mids when set up right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Using dual mids, I have been told that there will be phasing issues and cancelling of some frequencies. So do I need to put a passive lp filter at ~ 100 hz first order or reverse the polarity of one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just for food for thought Legend. What tweeter would you recommend over the ID horns with the reference mids? The seas lotus reference tweeter, LPG, morel supremo, etc.. Would this be a better setup than what I am considering? Oh and thanks Legend, I thought more would chime in than this.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Performance mids are pretty good, much more forgiving, warmer drivers. Reference are more realistic, detailed. Bass should be identical between the two.

You don't have to reverse polarity or do anything fancy. The comb filtering issues you're referring to don't occur until much higher in frequency and in all likeliness won't make a bit of difference to your ear.

As for horns and reference mids, you can certainly do it if that's the sound you prefer. Personally, I like a tweeter with a bit more air and less blare than a horn.

I don't understand the high efficiency question. Higher efficiency just means less power needed to reach a certain spl... that's about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I will re-word the efficiency question, I have been told that high end drivers are not as efficient but the motor structure is more solid and able to take higher volumes with less potential damage. Higher chance of cone break-up, less detail, sound thin. Is this true or false.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That would be false. It depends a lot of the driver and how the designers intended the drivers to be. More mass usually results in lower efficiency, but gain low end response, while less mass usually means higher efficiency, but with less low end.

If anything, horns and tweeters (such as ribbons) are more efficient than conventional drivers, yet they offer great details, volume, etc.

Cone breakup would be due to the size of the cone and material (which affects rigidy and internal dampening).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.