DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard both? Subjective comments are welcome.

I heard both, but at different times so I forget how one sounds when I listen to the other :(

·
Registered
415 Posts
you wanna take another listen..?

its retuned once again! midrange is freaken more awesomer then ever! ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
heh i was wondering the same thing, funny you asked lol. I gotta try some of these RNX mids soon, although i'm scared their midrange won't be clear and detailed enough to mate up with compact domes like LPGs (which i just love for all arounders and tonality). The image i have in my head is Vifa PL when i think of the RNX mids. wonderful for midbass and up to 1500hz off axis and nothing above that. I could be completely wrong and probably am tho :p

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stangme01 said:
heh i was wondering the same thing, funny you asked lol. I gotta try some of these RNX mids soon, although i'm scared their midrange won't be clear and detailed enough to mate up with compact domes like LPGs (which i just love for all arounders and tonality). The image i have in my head is Vifa PL when i think of the RNX mids. wonderful for midbass and up to 1500hz off axis and nothing above that. I could be completely wrong and probably am tho :p
10K2HVN's L18 mids are very clear. They sound like the lotus reference midrange in the car (at least I couldn't tell the difference, but it might be because of his rattling door.. oooOOO! what now Vinh? :D ) When I think muddy, I think of my mom's stock speaker in her van :D Honestly, I think the L18 would have been the mids to buy all along. Probably the best value mids out there. Only reason why I haven't is because I already have the lotus reference mids which I got for.......Free! I couldn't pass up the offer..HONEST! :blush:

Speaking of Vifa PL, mine are also sitting here with crazy amounts of dust, to the point where I thought they were my old stock speakers :cool:

So yea Vinh, whenever you're not busy and done looking at my PM that I sent you days ago ( ;) ), I would like to hear them again. Now all i need is to find someone who has 6.5" opening so I can try my performance mids.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The L18's have a hard cone giving it more detail but at the cost of topend extension - Nothing like the Vifa PL.

My car had more detail then most peoples Home Theater setups! < sounds better too!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hey 95Legend do the Lotus Refences get loud enough? I have been wondering this for a minute. I have been trying to decide between the lotus and the Excel and I would like bang for the power... One being 8ohms and the other 4ohms...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For me, it's loud enough. I had 60w going to it. If I had to do it again, I would go with 100w per mid, just for headroom.

It's a tossup really. I would have gone with the excel if I had 100w of available power, just because I'm anal about headroom :D

·
Registered
929 Posts
I just ordered some excels w15cy001 they 5.5. I have kicks big enought to fit whatever. I just hope they are loud enought at 110.

·
Registered
415 Posts
OgreDave said:
Vinh's car needs more bass :p hahah
95Legend said:
It's the bazooka bass tube I tell ya!
blah..blah..blah..! damn bass heads! :rolleyes:

:p

You know those times when you tuned your car into a dead-end.. well, i pretty much went through one of those when you heard my car.. now it sounds much better! much smoother and blends together much better. :)

when Albert gets back we sound all hang out! :D

^when is world finals, anyways?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think its this weekend.

Yes! let's all hang out soon. haven't seen you in awhile either. I see too much of albert and not enough of vinh. :p

·
Registered
397 Posts
resurrecting this thread...

how about comparing the CA18's to the Lotus performance? Will the Lotus performance have any advantage over the CA18?

·
Registered
415 Posts
ive havent heard either (actually i have heard the Performance, but that was someone elses install), but i would guess the Performance would have better midrange while the CA18's would have more overall bass and output.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Isn't the L18RNX a bit bigger than the Seas Lotus? Well the L18RNX sounds pretty much exactly like the Dayton RS180, so people who have heard both the dayton and the lotus can comment.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Imho, the L18/CA18rnx has the best bass and overall value. The W18 Excel has better bass than the Lotus ref., but less than the RNX's. The Lotus and Excel have similar midrange, but better than RNX. The Excel has more bass output than the Lotus, but the Lotus is more weatherproof and comes with a warranty. The dayton has about the same bass output as the Excels, and midrange that is more detailed than the RNX's but less than the Excel/Lotus.

·
Registered
397 Posts
so the Daytons are right smack in between the Excels and the RNXs. wow.

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
arn't the daytons only 35 bucks each? compared to 160 for the deas excel/rnx

wow indeed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts