DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One is a home audio driver the other is a Lotus car audio driver. I will be running this from about 200 Hz up to around 2000 Hz. Both are magnesium cones. Benefit of one over the other?

only difference I can see is the Lotus driver is 1db more effecient and a couple mm smaller install depth and cutout compared to the Excel driver. Might have a difference in low frequ extension, but that won't matter since I will use the W18 as midbass drivers. Should I get the same sound quality out of each?

·
Registered
415 Posts
MIAaron said:
Anyone have plots of the freq response of the lotus driver? I'm really curious about their top end extension.
i hear theyre very similar to the W12's, but never seen them myself.

Top end extension is pretty good! but i dont wanna talk about how i found out.. :oops:

8)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Pretty much the same drivers... I believe the w12 likes a slightly smaller enclosure while the lotus will provide deeper bass extension IIRC.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
npdang said:
Pretty much the same drivers... I believe the w12 likes a slightly smaller enclosure while the lotus will provide deeper bass extension IIRC.
since both are free air and crossover over around 200 Hz, basically...either one?

Excel would match the W18 better, Lotus would be 4 ohm and match the vifa 4 ohm tweeter better.

????

·
Registered
415 Posts
lol..those where when the Lotus 4.5's were first made, right?

i remember someone on ECA was telling me about them...

any plans on 5.25 ~ 5.5's for Lotus, Eng?

·
Registered
415 Posts
dual700 said:
Correct, Vinh! :p
They are thinking of making 5.25", but not sure when...
Sounds Awesome! :D

A perfect blend of lowend extension, high end extension, sensitivity, and size for kickpanels! 8)

What about that "Reference"-line subwoofer..???? <<<Copper Shorting Rings????

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'll tell them at CES that Vinh wants few items made.. :wink:
And Vinh carries weapons! :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
434 Posts
can we order different color phase plug? :p

·
Registered
415 Posts
dual700 said:
I'll tell them at CES that Vinh wants few items made.. :wink:
And Vinh carries weapons! :shock: :shock:
And ill probably pay them a visit at CES.

:twisted:

W

·
0 Posts
OK if you guys will indulge me for a moment, I'm a gettin' on my soapbox :)

The car aduio world does not need another 5 1/4" driver ... even Excel class. And I'm a huge fan of Seas Excel drivers.

I submit that what the car audio world does need is more drivers with the following characteristics :

1. Solid, convincing frequency response that spans the whole vocal range ... say ~200Hz to 4kHz.

2. Reasonable efficiency, great distortion & CSD performance.

3. The biggie : SMALL FORM FACTOR! Don't need midbass from this driver ... don't need to pretend it has midbass. I'm thinking about very high performance 3 inch midrange drivers, that don't need to be engineered for a target price consistent with computer monitors :wink:

Why do we need them? For convenient mounting on the dash, in the dash, around the dash, in the pillars, etc. We need them for mounting high. We need them more than the home audio market needs them. We need them to raise our stages above our feet ... and I think they only need to play down to 200Hz to do so, because a transition to door mounted midbass drivers can work if the midranges play this low. But it's the wrong move, if the driver is bigger so that it can play lower. Home audio just doesn't have this constraint.

Focal knows this. That's why they've engineered the new Utopia Be 3W2 driver.

We don't need a 5 1/4" Excel from Seas ... we need a 3" Excel from Seas!

And while I'm at it ... is it really too much trouble to ask that this new driver include a grill? I mean, how hard is it for crying out loud? Yeah, I know about the Aura 3". Problems are, the efficiency is too low, the flimsy stamped frame is too thin, and there's no damn grill :evil:

So there you have it. Small drivers, that play convincingly to ~200Hz, but don't even pretend to go much lower (if it goes lower, it's too damn big!). Excel-class motors & cones. And a grill. Please. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
is that buwalda midrange's out yet?

I wouldnt mind a STRONG 5" from 200 to 4-5khz :)

3" would be even better so I coudl run two on each side :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
werewolf said:
1. Solid, convincing frequency response that spans the whole vocal range ... say ~200Hz to 4kHz.

2. Reasonable efficiency, great distortion & CSD performance.

3. The biggie : SMALL FORM FACTOR! Don't need midbass from this driver ... don't need to pretend it has midbass. I'm thinking about very high performance 3 inch midrange drivers, that don't need to be engineered for a target price consistent with computer monitors :wink:
..but doesnt the Lotus RM110 4.5" driver cover this..? -minus the '3 inch diameter' part, because its 4.5 inches.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts