DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard nothing but glowing reviews for the w18ex driver from the excell line but if i can pick up the lotus reference drivers for $165 a driver or the excell w18 for $156 a speaker which do I go with,,,

can I expect the same great sound from the lotus reference with 4 ohm flexibility or is it not the same standard of driver,,,?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also If i plan on running 3 way should I be running the w18 as a midbass or midrange driver,,, I know alot of it has to do with my tweet but if I get the right tweeter is a 3 way even necessary for this setup?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
95Legend said:
Throw them both in a case and you won't be able to tell a difference between midrange.

the Excel will win in the midbass output department

If you have enough power to power the excel, I say go for it.
they will be powered by a Esoteric E7152,,, same as D7 amp

puts out 150 X 2 rms at 4 ohms,,, that enough power for the excell im new to 8 ohm drivers,,, I am also torn on wether to put them in my doors or kicks im not sure if my kick pods have enough volume for them im having a hard time finding recomended sealed volume,,,

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
95Legend said:
Put them in the doors.

you can play them from midbass all the way to midrange. A lot of people I know are running these speakers in a 2-way setup.

But the sound of 150w on each reference mids sounds nice..:D

hehe not helping,, i know its hard to turn down the fact the the reference mids are the same ones that come with the lotus set but ive heard so many good reviews of the w18's.... hmm dont know what to do now lol

·
Registered
989 Posts
Demonbane23 said:
they will be powered by a Esoteric E7152,,, same as D7 amp

puts out 150 X 2 rms at 4 ohms,,, that enough power for the excell im new to 8 ohm drivers,,, I am also torn on wether to put them in my doors or kicks im not sure if my kick pods have enough volume for them im having a hard time finding recomended sealed volume,,,
Buy my E7054 and then you can bridge it to 200 Watts rms x 2 :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Demonbane23 said:
hehe not helping,, i know its hard to turn down the fact the the reference mids are the same ones that come with the lotus set but ive heard so many good reviews of the w18's.... hmm dont know what to do now lol

seas lotus reference = seas excel

except the lotus are in 4ohm with a 6.5" basket made for automotive use. The voice coil of the lotus reference is also enclosed behind the basket so moisture doesn't get in. You can probably cover up the excel's basket.

power for power, the excel will have more output as far as bass is concerned since its the obvious 7" vs. 6.5" comes into play.

·
Seen Rock City
732 Posts
I am reviving this post because I am in the exact same dilemma.

Do I go with the RW165 or the W18EX? To answer daitrong's Q-- I listen mainly to punk rock, rock and roll, and some hip-hop.

Mids will be receiving plenty of power, so that's not a concern.

They will be paired with the Scan/Alpine 6000-01's. Any help would be appreciated.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Seas reference is based on their w17 Excel. It has no venting under the spider, and all parts are weather treated. It has a shorter voice coil, and a bass response that is high fs, high qts.

Seas w18 has longer voice coil, a bit more suspension throw, and venting under the spider. Magnet is wider as well. Bass response is high qts, low fs. It will play lower.

As far as midrange, they are the same.

·
Registered
415 Posts
IMO, if you want closest to real home like hifi sound, I would go with the Lotus with lots of power.

Midbass hum and door rattles are quite problematic with a heavy lowend woofers.

If you just want to say you have SEAS Excel's 7" in your car, but dont know how to bring out its midrange qualities and mask them behind an overwelming bass response, then you could do that too.

IMO, if youre worried about bass response, youre probably better saving your money with slighty lesser SEAS driver and spend more money on an amp because youll still need lots of power at 8 ohms.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have a question about this I just to know if this is clear or not. If I give the seas lotus 110 watts at 4 ohms it would be louder than giving the excels 110 watts at 4 ohms (55 watts at 8 ohms) or would they be the same in loudness?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.