DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

First off, I would like to say "Hi." I don't post here often but I do visit often to try and soak up all of the wonderful information you guys have here. And let me tell you guys, this is a really well run forum.

Now, I have a couple questions that have come up. And yes, I searched but couldn't quite find anything that addresses my issue. Before I ask my questions I will give you some background on my install.

Currently I am running LPG 25NFA tweeters along with a pair of Seas ER18RNX woofers. The LPG's are mounted in my A-Pillars and the Seas are mounted to deadened MDF baffles in my doors. Each set of speakers is being powered by a Phoenix Gold x200.4 with gains adjusted accordingly. A Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS is the "brains" of the system. The doors are layered with RAAMmat on the outer doorskin as well as the inner doorskin and I stripped the seats and carpet to cover the entire interior with sound deadener. I was going to add another amplifier and a small sub to deliver some bass but found that the Seas did a good enough job.

At first I had a hard time understanding how to get everything properly dialed in but after doing a lot of reading, I got the sound up to par. Protest the Hero's first album, Kezia sounded incredible!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, the sound quality has been fading, or my ears are getting more picky. The tweeters don't sound natural enough for me at times. They even sound like the music is forced upon them sometimes. But more importantly my driver's side mid or possibly something inside the door is starting to make an awful sound. The sound is a buzzing/rattling/farting sound that sounds like something in the speaker might be coming loose. The sound is most noteable at midrange notes around 80-100hz or so. If anybody is familiar with the band Before Their Eyes, the sound is more than obvious at the intro of the song Why 6 Is Afraid of 7.

What could this be? Should I be looking for new mids? What could have/could be causing this? What more information do you guys need to help? Also, how can I get a more natural sound from my tweeters? Or should I look for a new set of tweeters as well?

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice or criticism!! Thanks for you time!

Beck

·
Registered
727 Posts
I like your choice of equipment. It's like you're doing what I was a while ago lol...

When I used to run CA18s + LPGs 2way combo I had very bad rattles coming from the plastic skins of the doors. When I switched to 3way and kept Ca18s under [email protected], I had much less of the annoying wzzz bzzhhh rattles.
So... does your mid rattle in door by itself or can a panel cover be a source?
Don't be looking for new mids, first exhaust your possibilities with the current install.
Get a test tones cd and go through midbass to midrange frequencies and localize what causes the problem.

The only time I started to look for my Seas mid replacement is when I blew one of them on bass heavy song, so then I switched to another Seas, this time a bit bigger :).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I took a look at it today when I got home from work. I narrowed the noise down to the speaker itself. Nothing in the door, nothing on the door. So, I decided to take the speaker out and take a gander on it. Upon further investigation I found a white substance on part of the voice coil..... :confused:

What could this substance be? What could have caused it? Is my speaker shot? What should I do about it?

A speedy reply would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

Beck

·
Registered
727 Posts
you want a speedy reply.

white substance hehe... ok i wont shoot any jokes about the white substance.
i seriosuly have no idea. can you try rubbing it off with something? i don't know, maybe someone else has any idea about white substance...
did you buy them off someone? new?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you want a speedy reply.

white substance hehe... ok i wont shoot any jokes about the white substance.
i seriosuly have no idea. can you try rubbing it off with something? i don't know, maybe someone else has any idea about white substance...
did you buy them off someone? new?
I bought them new from Madisound sometime last summer. Anybody know what this stuff could be?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Check the tinsel leads. Seas drivers are notorious for tinsel slap. A tiny dab of glue to secure them to the spider will work wonders.

Next, is the voice coil hindered in any way by the white substance? If not, it wouldn't be the first place I looked. If you had a black substance, then I'd say you had a problem. Charred voice coils are not a good thing. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, a broken input switch on a Phoenix Gold amplifier will certainly make a sound system sound a lot worse than it should! I fixed that, now it sounds even better than before!!!! Right on!

·
Registered
113 Posts
What "broken input switch are you referrinng to on the PG X200.4?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What "broken input switch are you referrinng to on the PG X200.4?
On the amplifier, to the left of the RCA inputs there's the input switch. It can be changed between 2-channel and 4-channel. It wasn't fully clicking out the way it should so it has been stuck on 2-channel for a while.

Is water able to get to the back of those SEAS drivers?
It's a very slim chance but possibly after I wash the vehicle and then roll the windows down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts