DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's one thing holding me back from getting the Nextel W15LY-001 and that is the power handling. The thing is, they seem to have great excursion--10mm peak to peak linear and 20mm max. Why are they only rated for 60w long term but 250w peak? 60w seems really low. Are they rated low because of thermal issues? Anything with that much excursion should be able to handle more power methinks.

To all the other Nextel users, is Seas really conservative with their ratings? Even at 8 ohms, I'd still be feeding them twice their rated power and I'd like to be able to use it. Can they take it? Even the 7" Nextel is only rated for 80w and it has a huge 14mm peak to peak excursion.

·
Registered
727 Posts
they rate 60w fullrange?

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
kirk profit had a zapco dc1000.4 bridged to his and they were just fine after around 15 months of wanking the crap out of them. when i heard his car i commented on how up front the subs sounded when the subs were turned off:eek:

don't worry about it...they'll be fine as long as you use common sense.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The largest amp I used with mine was 350 x 2. Obviously just because the amp was rated 350 x 2, it did not mean the drivers ever saw that much power.

·
Registered
778 Posts
There's one thing holding me back from getting the Nextel W15LY-001 and that is the power handling. The thing is, they seem to have great excursion--10mm peak to peak linear and 20mm max. Why are they only rated for 60w long term but 250w peak? 60w seems really low. Are they rated low because of thermal issues? Anything with that much excursion should be able to handle more power methinks.

To all the other Nextel users, is Seas really conservative with their ratings? Even at 8 ohms, I'd still be feeding them twice their rated power and I'd like to be able to use it. Can they take it? Even the 7" Nextel is only rated for 80w and it has a huge 14mm peak to peak excursion.

who cares how much power it takes? Output is all you are concerned with, and that can be calculated. If you have more power available then the driver can mechanically handle, then we call it dynamic headroom and a lower noise floor. What's not too like?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sort of off topic here i was looking at the 7" version nextel and was wondering what do users of this tend to go with tweeter wise? To the op i would say crossed at about 50-80 these should handle lots of power i have heard them and i like them a lot only i need to find its perfect tweeter mate.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I really enjoy the vifa/peerless ring radiators (xt25). Popular on here is also the seas neo. Which, is also a very nice tweeter.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
who cares how much power it takes? Output is all you are concerned with, and that can be calculated. If you have more power available then the driver can mechanically handle, then we call it dynamic headroom and a lower noise floor. What's not too like?
Well my point was that 60w is a very low rating for something with very high excursion unless the suspension is paper thin and has no resistance. My thought is that they are either thermally limited to 60w (which I doubt) or Seas is just very conservative in their ratings. As someone said, if 60w is full range, that's pretty good.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
so anyone know how this driver would do down into the 80hz range off axis in a door? i'd actually contemplate running them considering i liked the 7" nextels a lot but they won't fit in my doors no matter what i do. the flange is just too wide.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sort of off topic here i was looking at the 7" version nextel and was wondering what do users of this tend to go with tweeter wise? To the op i would say crossed at about 50-80 these should handle lots of power i have heard them and i like them a lot only i need to find its perfect tweeter mate.
Peerless HDS

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Short term Power handling IEC 268-5 = 60 watts of noise with a crest factor of 6dB and a roll off 12dB at 40Hz and 5KHz. For 2 or 10 hours I think.

Edit : eeeerrrr that would be long term not short, duh....

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Short term Power handling IEC 268-5 = 60 watts of noise with a crest factor of 6dB and a roll off 12dB at 40Hz and 5KHz. For 2 or 10 hours I think.
Thats pretty good

·
Registered
848 Posts
They rate so low because they wanted to avoid burnt vc replacements. Another theory would be so they can last 20+ years. ;) I also would agree with the other poster @ full range playing really low. The low lowz bottom out any mids at semi loud volume. You will have to do some real world and accordingly to specific application testing. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
How do you guys find the nextel midbass in a 2way system for frontstage? I have my own thoughts but just wondering what you guys think.

·
Registered
630 Posts
factor in enclosure, air suspension
drake,

That's what I think also...it needs to be in an enclosure. How do you find them in well deadened doors?

·
Registered
848 Posts
drake,

That's what I think also...it needs to be in an enclosure. How do you find them in well deadened doors?
I haven't used the nextels yet. :( I have noticed that most mids playing that far off axis suffers from in the midbass region. I believe the way those particular sound waves react to that application(factor in car anomalies). I thinking about sporting the perryb again where on axis has it's compensations. ;) Oh yeah, I also heard egg crate foam can do wonders in doors kinda like polyfill action.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Haha! Nice.:D I'm quite worried on how the nextels would perform in competition. I've been tuning a car for EMMA...but just can't get the midbass right.:(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts