DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my brother in law got a 2008 Chevy HHR and it looks nice and all but the one thing we both agree we don't like are the stock seats! So we talked about stripping them and putting new foam on them and covering them in leather and suede. My question is how tough is it to do seats? Anyone know of any guides or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know my car stereo guy will do repaneling, but sends seats and anything with seams to someone else that specifically does stitching.

Might not help that much but at least it's to show that a guy who's been doing stereo for 20+ years doesn't think he can do a good enough job at it.

If you have more time and want it as a project then that's cool too. way interested to see how a diy would turn out :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I can do fiber glassing and door panels no problem I'm sure but stitching...I don't know haha.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I thought about doing mine so I did a little research. It's probably impossible for anyone doing it a first time to have it look anywhere near decent. The upholstery is attached on front seats usually by those little rings underneath to the seat spring. You can unclamp those and strip the upholstery off. At that point, I bought a spare seat I was going to cannibalize to make shape patterns out of, cut and sew the proper fabric, then slip it back on and reattach using the rings or zip ties. Probably better off just buying Katskinz or whatever they're called - one of the premade seat covers where you actually strip the oem upholstery and reupholster - so the actual seats skins are already made. Pretty expensive though. Good luck man, LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts