DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'll have enough resin left over to pull off my front doors. What I have to accomplish is fitting a 6.5" and 4" speaker in each door from my cdt 3way component set in the front doors of a 98 4runner. The rear boxes are going well and I'm off to make the speaker rings for my 10" subs, 6.5", and 4" speakers as well as the amp flush mounts for the rear boxes. That should be pretty easy. Anyway what I'm asking for is suggestions on how I should accomplish this. Here is the pic of the door panel.

Here's a pic with the door panel off. It's not mine but I didn't want to spend the 45 min it takes to take the whole door panel off.

What I'm thinking of doing is slicing off the corner of my door panel keeping the pocket intact and removing the black speaker panel underneath. Then I'd glass the back part of the form with about 3 layers and then form it with fleece on top and angle the speakers up towards the center of the vehicle. Does this seem plausible? I'm going to cover it in vinyl. I found the yota oem stuff but the concept is what I'm going for before I pull out the dremel and slice it off lol.

Also the main reason for sealing it is so that I can work with it outside the vehicle. It took me 4 weeks to get the smell out of my 4runner from the two rear boxes lol. I also figure that it should provide a little bit better sound. Is this a bad idea? If it is I can always cut holes in the back to let air pass through.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If I were you I would put the 4" in the kickpanel and the tweeter in the factory location. This will require less fab work on the doors. Will sound much better to.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't mind the kick panel idea but I have a stick lol. The kick has a computer behind it that I would still have to relocate. The only other mystery is where I'm going to hide the crossovers. I'd like to hide tĥem in the doors but I will figure that out soon.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
i never stick passives in the door. that just leaves you open for too many moisture problems. you can always find a place inside the cabin for crossovers if you look enough.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good call. Thanks for the tip. I'm making major progress on the sub boxes and I'll post that up when I get finished. Right now I'm just trying to get them together before the 16th. I'd like to have the doors done by then too but it'll be tight. With work every day and the temp dropping it's getting harder to get the right time of day to lay fiberglass even out here in the desert. I'm considering getting a little space heater and hooking it up overnight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts