DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Found this thread looking up "headroom". The concept just doesn't make sense to me. Aren't your speakers going to distort at the same wattage whether its from a 100 wpc amp or a 200 wpc amp? For example, if the speakers are rated at 60 wpc and they distort at 80 wpc, wouldn't a 200 wpc amp be pointless? I'm probably oversimplifying it or I just have it all wrong, but can someone please explain? I'd really like to know if I should buy that 200 wpc amp :)

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
Buy the bigger amp because you can, because you won't be satisfied until you have seen the results for yourself, because you will trade speakers like underwear sooner or later and having more power means you can try a larger variety of speakers. :D

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I'd like to bring focus back to the article vs. the subtleties we're slowly introducing....

you can never have too much power... ...Little amplifiers driven into clipping burn out speakers.
Obviously there's a lot of variables to mention, debate, or argue...but I don't see anything wrong with the conclusion?

Drive a small amp into clipping hoping for something amazing; well, you'll get something amazing :) I don't think it means just a little flicker either...I think it's talking about grandma's boy messing with his 16th birthday present.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I thought the variables was plain to see, just that some went on a tangent which diverted the flow of things. Basically, you're better off with a bigger amp under control than a smaller amp driven beyond it's limits given that it's clipped power is still enough to overdrive the speaker. Correct?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
If, and only if, the clipped signal has too much power for the driver in question. Otherwise clipping, other than sounding bad, won't make a difference.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Buy the bigger amp because you can, because you won't be satisfied until you have seen the results for yourself, because you will trade speakers like underwear sooner or later and having more power means you can try a larger variety of speakers. :D
My thinking is inline with yours. A larger amp leaves room to grow and it isn't going to damage anything is you use restraint. I'd rather have clean sound than have an amp that is straining and starts to sound harsh when it is reaching its limit. Even though the average power being used isn't much, the peaks in music can be many times greater. As an example, the LED meters on my home reciever go to 200 watts. If I have it cranked up pretty good, the average power being used may only be a few watts, but the 200 watt lights flicker from time to time.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Everyone wants amps that are a bazillion watts, have small footprints, cost only a few bucks, and don't draw any current from the electrical system. But that doesn't really help anyone make decisions about what to buy. The power discussion is VERY relevant. Because the reality is that most people *DO* clip some of their channels some of the time, so it's important to know what it means and whether it's important to spend extra and dedicate more space to other/bigger amps.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Everyone wants amps that are a bazillion watts, have small footprints, cost only a few bucks, and don't draw any current from the electrical system. But that doesn't really help anyone make decisions about what to buy. The power discussion is VERY relevant. Because the reality is that most people *DO* clip some of their channels some of the time, so it's important to know what it means and whether it's important to spend extra and dedicate more space to other/bigger amps.
That's what I'm saying. If your speakers clip at 80 wpc then won't a 100 wpc amp suffice? Wouldn't a 200 wpc amp be wasted? Obviously there's the 'ability to change gear factor' to consider. But, what if you aren't going to change anything? Doesn't that make the "headroom" point mute?

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
its the "green is greener on the other side" syndrome. you have a nicely set up system but you just know that is you replace the tweeters with X brand it will sound 100x better.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
Or you could be like me and want a simple upgrade that has more flexibility and more power over dinosaur amps that are bulky and limited on power. But I suppose that doesn't put that in the constantly trading category...

However, I'm sure bad decisions as well as forum boners account for most. Heck it took me I don't know how many years to finally switch to an all class D setup while I've sat back and watch a lot of these guys go through them like soiled underwear.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
That's what I'm saying. If your speakers clip at 80 wpc then won't a 100 wpc amp suffice? Wouldn't a 200 wpc amp be wasted? Obviously there's the 'ability to change gear factor' to consider. But, what if you aren't going to change anything? Doesn't that make the "headroom" point mute?
Speakers don't clip.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
What did I misunderstand?

I thought the assumption is that clipping provides potential for higher average power vs a clean signal over a period of time?...

hrmmm. I miss something?
power is power. that is the beauty of power. I think what most people are saying that if you are not setting your amplifiers up for some clipping, then you are leaving alot of the amplifier's potential on the table.

if you are using a 300 watt amplifier channel and only driving it to 100watts, then the speakers are seeing 100 watts. if you have a 75watt channel and driving it to 100 watts with clipping, the speaker still sees 100 watts.

the difference is how much you paid for each amplifier.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
Not enough to be anal about if it is used... :D

But seriously, I'd rather experiment with different drivers periodically than to keep switching amps so getting one with enough power to be flexible only makes sense. Now if you keep switching amps to suit every driver you play with then that would be more wasteful than having extra power you don't use IMO.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
61 - 80 of 172 Posts