DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

The current setup I have in my car is,

JVC 960bw head unit
Pioneer 9705 5 channel amp
Morel tempo602 midbass, tempo 602 passive crossover (which came with the morel tempo 602 2 way component pack)
Flux maestro series tweeter (I recently upgraded my tweeters from morel to this!)
Infinity Kappa 10" Subwoofer

I was perfectly happy with my setup until I experienced a 4-way active set up in a friends car! 馃檭
A full upgrade to a fully active setup is not practical for me as it requires the purchase of a new amp and another DSP.

What I have in my mind is, to get a new midrange (Audison Voce 3.0, Preferably) and run midrange and tweeter with the passive crossover that I use in my current setup and run morel mid-woofers active so that I can utilize 4 channels of my amp effectively and use the mono channel for my subwoofer. (Since I do not have rear speakers)

But, I want to make sure if it's possible to run midrange and tweeter to the passive crossover (that came with morel tempo 602 2 way component set) which I now use for my 2-way passive setup. Is it okay to connect the midrange speakers to the slot for the mid-woofer?? I am concerned that more power will be delivered to the midrange speaker in this case and it might result in the midrange blowing off. Or are there any specific passive crossover specifically used for running a semi-active setup??

Please excuse the newbie question. I am completely new to this car audio installation. But I definitely am curious to learn about it. Please help me with this query and guide me if there is any better way for doing it. Thanks in advance!
Good day to all!! 馃槃

Registered
Power wise, you should be fine. There could be substantial sensitivity differences between the midrange and the tweeter, but you should be able to EQ that out in DSP

The impedance of the mid and the old midbass must be the same, otherwise you will not have aligned crossover points.

You will want to position the mid/tweeter close (really close) to minimise the lack of independent time alignment.

One other advantage of 3 way is being able to cross the tweeter higher up, where it鈥檚 more comfortable. You won鈥檛 get that benefit.

It should work fine in summary. it鈥檚 a bit of a halfway house, but done carefully should provide a decent improvement.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, both the mids have 4ohms impedance.. I hope it works fine then!

I have in mind to make it a 3-way full active setup eventually. But yeah, for the time being, this will work, I guess! 馃槄

Thanks again for the guidance! 馃

Registered
I started out 3-way active but wanted to free up a couple of channels of amp/DSP for rear fill so I now run 鈥渟emi-active鈥 three way in my car up front - using the supplied passive x-overs that came with my Focal components between the mids/tweeters.

In what might be a testament to my poor tuning skillz, they sound BETTER like this than when I had them active. I never could quite tune out harsh vocals at higher volume when they were active but was pleasantly surprised that they are smooth as silk using the passives. Apparently Focal knows how to x-over their own speakers pretty well - who knew? For reasons I鈥檒l likely never understand, they just sound much better like this. 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

I think this works in my application well because, for time-alignment purposes, my mids/tweets are essentially co-located in the dash. If they sat farther apart you would have to make compromises there.

This was going to be a temporary set-up until I got a more capable DSP with more channels, but it sounds so good I鈥檝e kinda lost my enthusiasm to do anything else on it. Perhaps down the road.

Attachments

Registered
it would be nice if you can get MOREL 3-way bi-amping passive, so you have more free hands with setting x-over points between mid and tw, and you have independent attenuation for mid+tw,.....you can midbass from other 2 ch amp.

In case of 2way passive you can eventually use midbass output with your mids, but you will have to set up hpf x-over freq in a range arround 400Hz. Midbass full active from other 2 ch amp

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the guidance guys!

I started out 3-way active but wanted to free up a couple of channels of amp/DSP for rear fill so I now run 鈥渟emi-active鈥 three way in my car up front - using the supplied passive x-overs that came with my Focal components between the mids/tweeters.
Glad to hear that you did almost the same setup and found great results with it! Nice components though!! I love those components you got there! PS165F3 :love::love:

In case of 2way passive you can eventually use midbass output with your mids, but you will have to set up hpf x-over freq in a range arround 400Hz.
Sure! I'll keep that in mind. (y)

I'm now relieved that the mids can be wired through passive crossover without blowing off the midrange speakers. Will try this out soon and update the result here!

Cheers all! 馃嵒

Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
Is it okay to connect the midrange speakers to the slot for the mid-woofer?? I am concerned that more power will be delivered to the midrange speaker in this case and it might result in the midrange blowing off. Or are there any specific passive crossover specifically used for running a semi-active setup??

It's fine to connect the mid range and the tweeters to the passive crossovers, as that will just split the highs from the lows; most likely around 4k or so. Damage to the midrange would happen from the low extension.

It looks like your amp may have fixed high pass (500hz) and low pass (40hz) filters; is that right?

If so, does your head unit allow for variable cross over points of the front and rear outputs? Or does the amp allow for variable set points, and 40 is the lowest the low pass will go and 500 is the highest the high pass will go?

Ideally, you'd figure out a way to run a high pass for the amp channels feeding the passive crossovers, and set it to the lowest frequency you want the midrange to play. So something around 300-400hz maybe. Then the passive crossover will split that between the midrange and tweeters. Just know the amp will see a 4 ohm load in total, so you'll get 75w split between the midrage and the tweeter.

Also ideally, you'd have a way to bandpass the signal going to the midbass, so it's lowest frequency is aligned to your subwoofer crossover, and it's highest frequency is aligned to the high pass crossover point feeding the passive crossovers for the mids. If your headunit can do this, then great! If it can't, but it does have variable crossover settings .. you can low pass it around the same place as the mids ... so 300-400hz as well. Then if your amp can high pass the midbass channel at your sub crossover point (80hz maybe?), you can get the band pass this way.

Are you able to install the midbass up front along with the midrange and tweets? If so, that'll allow you to low pass the midbass a bit higher without ruining the imaging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts