DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on some system revisions and I'm looking for some circuit breakers to install in line with the power feeds to my 2 Zapco DC amps. I like using circuit breakers because I can use them as quick disconnects for the amps if I need to work on them. Why does it seem the industry has moved away from breakers and more to fuses? I've been using breakers for many years and never had issues.

I know people say the breakers don't react fast enough to protect your equipment but the overcurrent protection you put on your power cable does not protect your equipment anyway. The internal fuse on the amp (assuming the amp has one) is what protects your equipment. The protection on the power feed protects the power cable and your car. If I can trust breakers to protect me at home and at work, why not in the car?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've never known the industry to use circuit breakers personally. Was always turned off to them. They wear out. They aren't made to be used a switch.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
It's not like he's throwing the switch every day..... I feel that it is due to the cost factor, they are not cheap.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's not like he's throwing the switch every day..... I feel that it is due to the cost factor, they are not cheap.
100amp breaker is like 8 bucks on ebay. shipped. That's cheaper than most fuse holders.... and can replace at least 10 fuses before I would give up on it and get a new one.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, breakers do wear but like the ones in your house, they are designed for 1000s of cycles. I don't think I'll be disconnecting that often.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I would not trust that any farther than I could throw you, while I was riding in a wheelchair, uphill, with no brakes.
simply put the same people that make 95% of your daily things (and your fuses and circuit breakers in your home) make this. test to make sure it trips twice and I'm sure its fine.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
A little food for thought: Back in the day with much less effiecent amps, Hifonics olympus Vll and zues Vll, drawing upwards of 150-200 amps, the correct sized fuses would heat up over time and the connection around the glass would become brittle and break. After byweekly having to replace expensive ass fuses, I switched to circuit breakers, and have never looked back. By the way, still using the phoenix gold ones i purchesed in 92 and they still work like new.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I've heard that breakers can get stuck in the on position. Not sure how true this is, always used fuses myself.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've always used breakers by the batt, fuses by the amps, knock on wood, never let the majic smoke out, at least except when midnight wiring and drinking, lol:p

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I used a 100 amp rf circuit breaker when I was doing my (swap an amp every weekend) stage and it was practical and worked fine. But if you arent constantly disconnecting amps, fuse is fine.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an FYI. I ended up getting circuit breakers through amazon. Bussman fuses, which are the OEM for most of the car audio branded breakers, ran be about $20 per breaker. I have a 135A at the battery, 100A in front of my DC650.6 and a 50A in front of my DC500.1. I've been using breakers for years now on multiple installs and never had issues but I have had a fuse just crap out on me before. Same as described above, the glass just got brittle and the fuse basically fell apart in the holder.

·
Registered
360 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts