DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently running active with GS690 and GS10 with a Kicker Key 200.4 in bi-amp mode behind the stock radio. I was trying to keep everything lower cost and simple in the new vehicle. Nice improvement over stock but damn am I missing that midrange driver!

Kicker Key's auto detect crossover settings state:

• Woofers and Tweeters: 3.2kHz 24dB/oct High Pass for the tweeters, 3.2 kHz low pass for the woofers

Woofers and Dash Speakers: 320 Hz 24dB/oct High Pass for the dash-speakers, 640 Hz low pass for the woofers.

I want to add a GS25, but I also wans to keep my tweeters and I'd love to not wire in a larger amp. I'm thinking getting a set of passive crossovers to run the GS25s and GS10s, stack them tight and vertical in my sail panels and put them on HF channels of the Key. The Key would see the frequency response from that channel as full range and cut them off as "dash speakers." I figured stacking the GS25 and GS10 vertically and projecting the GS10s a bit forward would mostly alleviate the time alignment difference.

Any reason this is a terrible idea? I was considering the GS410c crossovers.

· Registered
2,543 Posts
I've done the same thing with my Morel front stage and I periodically switch between full active and hybrid active (when full active there's no rear fill as there's not enough outputs on my Helix mini for both.)

Let me be more specific...

In both configurations I only have enough outputs to time align the front L/R setup as a whole not independent timing for each driver. The passive crossover is fed a high passed signal from my JL Audio amplifier(s) (450/4) then to go fully active I have to rewire the 6x9s to a 300/2 and use the 450/4 for the mid/tweet so they always get the same time alignment I just have more control over the xover with the amp settings. Hope that's not too confusing.

Anyway, the fully active setup let's me xover higher to the tweeters and use the midrange to go higher and carry more of the load. It's a better image and much more dynamic but both setups a very close in overall presentation and it takes a clinical analysis or trained ear to hear the difference.

All of that to say that's there's no reason not to do what you're suggesting but be forewarned, you will likely want to eventually go full active (if only to see the difference) so weigh your options carefully to see if it wouldn't be more cost effective (amp vs xover) to simply add another amp now.

Just my .02 - ymmv

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm just going to try a tweeterless setup. I know the gs25's are primarily used firing up into the windshield for tweeter-less setups, I do not have dash speakers and prefer not to cut the dash. Would they perform just the same in the sails?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.