DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have various sets of tws. LPGs, Seas Neos, Emmit planars, a large format silk dome and the TangBangs ceramics, large chamber model.

Looking at the FR graphs at the specs and actual measurements of the tws installed does not correlate to the subjective experience.

I never liked the LPGs (harsh below 4k) or the Neos (dull).
The plannars have AIR, these sense of space, detailed but never harsh. A shame, one is gone so I have to move to another set.

The large format 1 inch silk domes (very simple design, ferrite magnet) have a nice flat response up to 10-12khz but they roll off gently after that point. Anyways, they have much more sense of space and air than the others. The ceramics have lower distortion and top end extension but they sound shut and sometimes harsh compared to the silks.

It seems like the FR graph at the upper octaves is not all the tw needs to sound natural and nice.

???:confused:

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
Need more than FR and distortion measurements.

Air comes from dispersion. Generally a wider top end dispersion will give more sense of air.

For dispersion you need to look at polar plots.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need more than FR and distortion measurements.

Air comes from dispersion. Generally a wider top end dispersion will give more sense of air.

For dispersion you need to look at polar plots.
Yes, i thought on polar response too.

I ask me if a more self damped cone as the silk, being "warm" at the lower treble (2-8khhz), lets the upper frecuencies sound more clear, like having more "contrast".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts