DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have an old car that has a subwoofer in the trunk. The subwoofer is not very loud, so I opted to disconnect the rear package shelf speakers. Now there are just the front door speakers. When the rear speakers were connected, the bass had to be up very high, and I don't want to bother other people with noise outside of the car.

Having no rear speakers is less than ideal, so I would like a solution to keep the volume very low on the rear speakers. The head unit does not offer individual volume control, only fade and balance. I would like some sort of attenuator for the rear speakers, so that they are present, but very low in the overall mix, just so I can keep the subwoofer volume fairly low as well. I am looking for a low cost solution. The speakers are not amplified--they run from the head unit 15 watts or whatever it is. Speakers are Infinity Kappa 8-ohm 5x7. I am looking for a low-cost solution.

These seem to be a set 12db decrease. I would prefer something that is adjustable. I have no idea what 12db would sound like.
https://www.parts-express.com/harri...MIyciIuN7k6wIVQQPnCh0ExA2FEAQYBSABEgJ7lPD_BwE

This second item appears to be variable...50 watts RMS....since I am nowhere near that, would this work? It says that it would work for two 8-ohm loads, and
"Speaker L-Pad Attenuator 50W Stereo 1" Shaft 8 Ohm" from www.parts-express.com!

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
i wish you could bridge head units to at least get 30ish watts for a front stage but that's besides the point. but isn't fade exactly what you are looking for? fade to the front is just turning the "volume knob" down on the rear speakers. just make sure you're getting your sub signal from the front speakers and not the rears so fading doesn't affect the rears.

most people only run front speakers on here for better imaging, and if they use rear speakers they use them as differential rear fill which you need a dsp to do in most cases.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
How do you have the rears connected if fade doesn't do what you want? What headunit are you using?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's an Alpine. The system volume runs from 0-35. With no rear speakers, I have the fade set to rear 5 out of 7, so the volume with the front speakers fade biased is much too loud and overpowers the subwoofer. They really need separate volume control or some sort of attenuation if possible.

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
Have you tried 1/7 or 7/7 ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fade is set where it needs to be with the current system. Setting it higher would just mute the front speakers, setting it towards 0 makes the front speakers too loud. Anything biased to the front speakers would be useless the way it is right now.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Exactly what Alpine head unit MODEL # do you have? It should be on the faceplate.

Does the Alpine head unit have Front, Rear, & Subwoofer RCA outputs, or just Front & Rear?

Is the signal that feeds the subwoofer amplifier connected to the Alpine head unit's RCA line level outputs (if so, which ones....Front, Rear, or Sub?), or to the Front or Rear Speaker outputs of the head unit?

What brand and model # is your subwoofer Amplifier? Does it have an optional "Bass Knob" connection?

If your subwoofer amplifier doesn't have a bass knob option, you can buy a universal RCA Stereo Level Control Knob such as the PAC-Audio #PAC-LC1.

You would insert the LC1 in-between the Alpine head unit's Front or Subwoofer RCA L&R Outputs and the RCA interconnect cables that go to the subwoofer amplifier's RCA inputs. Connect it to the head unit's Subwoofer RCA outputs if your head unit has them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a CDA-9856 and it has front, rear, and subwoofer outputs. The subwoofer should be connected to the subwoofer RCA in back of the unit, but it has been 10+ years since it was installed in this car. The amplifier is a Profile Ap-600. I don't know that it has a separate control option. It was cheap and I got it probably 15 years ago.

·
Registered
43 Posts
tbh i'd drop the idea of an lpad completely. what you're trying to accomplish you're doing backwards. you can dial up or down the gains on the sub amp (i assume this is the profile ap-600, which is a 200watt budget amp so probably 250-300 watts total, bridged, into 4 ohms, i'm assuming you have it set that way) to better match the front speaker volume, but an lpad is not the solution.
amp specs

you need to fade your stereo full front or wherever you want it front/rear, adjust speaker volume to clean listening level, then gain match the sub amp to the front speakers. fading rear to limit the front speaker volume is a pretty janky solution. i feel like 300 watts should still be a decent amount of sub wattage but don't expect it to be loud. if you're willing to give up some total volume you can exaggerate the sub gains and just know that you can't turn your radio up past (whatever number matches this level) as if you have your front speakers on half their potential output and your sub amp turned up to it's max clean output going to 100% speaker output would distort and potentially damage the sub.

you should post the specs/model number and how everything is wired for people to better help you

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Something seems off. First you have dedicated subwoofer preouts so you should have independent control of the sub volume and thus also should be able to fade F/R without affecting the sub. What it really sounds like is that your sub is not play loud enough to your liking and you are fading the fronts back to try to make the sub louder relative to the fronts. Why not turn up the gain on the amp to match the sensitivity on the fronts? I've used an L-pad before to set relative volume of the rear to the rest of the system but not like what you're trying to do. It sounds like either your expectations of the sub/amp you have are too high or something is wrong with the setup of the amp/sub making it way too soft.

Reactions: bbfoto
1 - 11 of 11 Posts