DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My luck with odd issues with my system seems to be never-ending...but I'm hoping I can get some good feedback with this current issue. Long story short, I upgraded my factory speakers in my Dodge Ram Regular Cab (With the Rer Head unit) and at the same had my LC6i rewired as a local shop as the shop informed me there were a couple of issues with the wiring on the initial install.

Anyway, the new speakers (2 way components/woofers in the door, tweeters in the dash) get installed and the LC6i gets rewired and everything sounds great....for 30 minutes! After listening for about 30 minutes I noticed some serious distortion coming from the door speakers on BOTH sides. It sounded just like speakers I've heard in the past that were blown so I fully expected the speakers got blown. I took it back to the shop the next day and they hooked up a head unit directly to my amp and the distortion wasn't there any longer and the speakers sounded great. They said it was a wiring issue so they got the full range signal from a different set of wires in my truck and once again, rewired the LC6i. Same issue..sounded great for 10 minutes while it was there...when I left and headed home...same problem. A lot of distortion coming from the woofers NOT from the tweeters..the tweeters sound great.

So I took it back to the shop and they were quick to say that it must be the RCA out on the factory head unit or an RCA out on the factory amp. This sounded odd to me as there was never an issue anywhere like this with my prior speakers and my LC6i the way it was wired prior to them "re-wiring" it. And i'm thinking what the odds are that in a day after they do the work, the RCA out goes bad on my head unit or factory amp? :confused:

So the issue is basically that anytime I turn my head unit volume past the half way point, there is a ton of static and garbled distortion coming from my door speakers but perfect clarity from the dash tweeters. The sound is really crappy. If the volume on the head unit is at half way or lower, the speakers sound great and I hear no distortion at all.

Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this and is it possible it could be an RCA out on the head unit or factory amp? Thanks a ton in advance for any feedback/suggestions on this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like the gain setting's on the LC6i are set too high, which could cause that.

Let me ask why using a LC6i if you are using the stock amp?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey..thanks for your reply djt. I don't think it's the gain settings because the gains are set about half way on the LC6i and have been for about a year since i've had the lc6i. And from what I remember from audio control in order for the lc6i to clip, the maximized light would have to be solid. The maximize light only flickers on occasion, even at the highest volume i'd ever turn the head unit up to, so it's not a clipping issue.

As far as the factory amp, I have OEM bluetooth and nav prompts so I didn't want to lose that with a PAC adapter which is why I went with the LC6i. Because the LC6i comes after the factory amp, I retain the bluetooth and nav prompts through the speakers and have my aftermarket amp power my aftermarket speakers which worked great for a year prior to this issue.

With that being said, any other ideas on what could be causing this issue?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would start with getting a good test speaker, hooking into the ones in your door. test and try to re create the issue. If it still happens then you know what isnt causing the issue. Then move your way backwards in the system; wires, amp, lc6i, wires, stock amp, wires, HU

1 - 4 of 4 Posts