DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered this unit from an Ebay vendor in Japan, and it has arrived. Initially, it hooked up and powered on, but the volume would not change. The knob worked to control everything else but the volume. After I left it for a bit and started driving, the volume worked, but there was a barely inaudible signal coming out. The little I could hear was not affected by the volume, so it seemed. The most interesting thing I noticed was that when I increase the Forward Fade, there is a strange loud whirring noise. Does anyone have ANY idea what this could be? The tube doesn't look like it's glowing at all, just the backlight behind it. I've tried swapping it out already, and it was difficult to remove, but still nothing

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Have you contacted the ebay vendor in Japan? I would ask for a refund or exchange because I hear repair parts for these are hard to come by. I would rather start with a new one or not have one at all. Good luck

BTW I think the problem is with the unit itself

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you contacted the ebay vendor in Japan? I would ask for a refund or exchange because I hear repair parts for these are hard to come by. I would rather start with a new one or not have one at all. Good luck

BTW I think the problem is with the unit itself
yeah . the unit is bunk and i told him to go ahead and give me a refund unless he knows how to fix it. I cant find an english manual ANYWHERE; just schematics for it. I'm going to get a refund on this and get a Mcintosh MX406 for cheaper from a buddy

·
Registered
344 Posts
If the tube doesn't light up then the preamp section isn't function and that's probably why you won't hear any signal. You should see a little glow at night. The tube might be gas leak or damage, you can google on how to look at damage tube .

Disconnect your battery first.

To take out the tube from the plate, first you need a metric hex from homedepot (the grey one) . Take out the cover, then pull out the plate that hold the tube straight out. After that, use a small flat head and prey the tube out of the base slowly and a little bit at a time all around then pull the tube out with a cloth or gloves.

Go to tubeworld.com or ebay and order a Western Electric tube 396A , just search for it in there. I had the regular WE 396A and the Kultube one and they sound very pleased to the ears.
https://www.tubeworld.com/kuhltubedetails.htm#60

I have the manual but it doesn't show any schematic on there. PM me I can send it to you .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine had a spare tube and i tried them both. nada. there is no light but i asked someone else with the same unit and they said their tube doesnt glow either, just the backlight

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you've got a bad unit . I hope you can get your refund back.
Yeah he sent me my money back minus the cost of the mcintosh power meters he just sent me for the mx406 I just ordered. And told me not to worry about returning it to Japan. So that's good

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Dunno what the plate voltage is on these but you may want to be careful with screwdrivers and those pins....

In most instances the plate voltage will light your ass up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts