DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Servo subs in car audio don't exist. Why?
I know there have been a few attempts, like I believe Velodyne gave it a shot, but nothing stuck.
There are a lot of people who are willing to spend more on their audio system than my car is worth in an attempt for sonic nirvana. And companies survive by selling a small number of very expensive products all the time. So what has kept them off of the market?

Would you purchase one over a different (non servo) option if it existed price not a factor?

And if you would, how much would you be willing to spend over a traditional sub for the promise of unrivaled accuracy in your sub stage that a servo drive provides? (Think same exact sub with the only difference being the servo system, feel free to include or exclude the necessary amp)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Servo subs in car audio don't exist. Why?
I know there have been a few attempts, like I believe Velodyne gave it a shot, but nothing stuck.
There are a lot of people who are willing to spend more on their audio system than my car is worth in an attempt for sonic nirvana. And companies survive by selling a small number of very expensive products all the time. So what has kept them off of the market?

Would you purchase one over a different (non servo) option if it existed price not a factor?

And if you would, how much would you be willing to spend over a traditional sub for the promise of unrivaled accuracy in your sub stage that a servo drive provides? (Think same exact sub with the only difference being the servo system, feel free to include or exclude the necessary amp)
Since I don't know anything at all about servo subs, all I can say is maybe it was about power handling or reliability, or that super clean subs are only liked by a tiny fraction of the car audio market. For my money and usage XBL^2 subs are clean enough.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i went and met the guys that made both the psychlone and the dual servo. those things were amazing, but ... space, design and longevity issues were never solved. BUT, they were unreal

·
Registered
259 Posts
Since I don't know anything at all about servo subs, all I can say is maybe it was about power handling or reliability, or that super clean subs are only liked by a tiny fraction of the car audio market. For my money and usage XBL^2 subs are clean enough.
Here's a good explanation of servo woofers. Have heard good things but never looked into what exactly they were.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Audio is one of those where at least some would spend the money to have the perceived best audio quality. Yet there is only one servo-controlled subwoofer manufacturer I know of for home audio, which is Rhytmik Audio. The reality is hat today’s subs are so powerful with magnet motors many times heavier than the cone that the magnet motor can fully control the cone without distortion. And servo-control has some issues such as power, they simply aren’t able to be nearly as powerful as high-excursion subwoofers so they won’t be in the most spirited of systems. And again, just because they are servo-controlled doesn’t mean they will have better sound quality, traditional subwoofers can run neck and neck with low-distortion subwoofer systems. And instead of paying for the servo-control circuitry, you could spend the same amount for a more powerful subwoofer system. And if you keep that more powerful subwoofer system away from its limits, you’re keeping away from its distortion profile as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts