DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always been curious why people don't just run home audio servo-controlled subwoofers?

There's always been so much praise over the 10 and 12" subs that velodyne had out years ago that were made for the car market. Why don't people just take a servo sub made for a home and put it in? Wouldn't it be the same?

·
Registered
360 Posts
honestly, once you get beyond the transformer you would most likely see the rest of the amp running on a much lower voltage.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
a dealer that sells the paradigm signature servo told me that the servo technology is basically used to control subs at high output also, he said its a way to control otherwise "****ty" subwoofers. He was pointing out that the JL home subs dont need it because they are quality subs that dont need something to tame them.

I have no idea if any of the info has truth at all but thats all I have heard about servo tech.

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
There are guys in Japan using Velodyne home subs in the cars. They have converted the servo units to work on 12 volts. The Velodyne car subs had 2 accelerometers on them- one to correct the cone/input signal, and one to correct for the car movement.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I remember most of the reviews noting that though they sounded great, they lacked output. The servo technology would cut back on the output when the sub would distort. Most people can stand to have the subs distorting by as much as 10% without noticing it by a large margin. Most people back then, and today I'm sure didn't want to pay for a sub that put out a mediocre amount for how much they cost. In a home where you less stuff going on, the output dosen't need to overcome so many things so I'd say they worked much better.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
You can also look up the old Bag End models. They were damned nice for being like an 11" cube.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
He didnt say exactly that....thats just the jist of what I learned from his explanation. I think what he was getting at with servos is that they are nothing special...just digitally controlled to stay within their best working area. He was stating that if a sub is built well...then it doesnt need gizmos to make it sound good.

Smart servo tech guy... lol

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Heres some info....

Not only does the Servo-15 v.2 have a state-of-the-art driver, it also uses a closed-loop servo mechanism with an "instrumentation-grade" accelerometer to reduce distortion. Paradigm claims that its servo system virtually eliminates audible distortion, even when the sub is played at its maximum rated output of 120dB. The servo system basically senses the motion and position of the cone and compares it to the input signal. It then generates a correction signal based on the differences between the two and sends it to the amplifier, which corrects the driver’s output, thus reducing distortion. The system is cooled by a large, extruded aluminum heatsink and Paradigm’s proprietary Airflow Ventilation System (AVS); temperature sensors on the voice coil and amplifier, and a short-circuit protection system, can shut the sub down within 10 microseconds.

·
Registered
684 Posts
IMHO 112db is not mediocre.
I wonder how many people commenting have actually ever used one.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I sold the Velodyne home servo subs back in the 90's. I have yet to hear anything better. At the frequency bandwidth that subs are working within, it is fairly easy to measure cone movement, compare it to the input, and provide a differential feedback signal to correct distortion, all without creating audible distortion in the process.

·
Registered
991 Posts
^^ that sums it all up... "but damn did it sound great"

In the home market the mass-market wants accuracy.. in the mobile market the mass-market wants "volume X 10,000"

It's an output/spl level thus MARKETING issue.

Linear Power, Velodyne, Coustic DR & many others in the high-end SQ market tried in the late '90s to show servo technology.. but sheer SPL over SQ won out.. as it always does in mobile audio... dumbass consumers.

I'd snatch up a Linear, Velo, or Coustic DR servo system if it were for sale.. I have the perfect car for one.

Ain't the Wolves-leading the Sheep-Marketing Machine great? Long live Rockford Fosgate (Fos-break?) & Orion (Onion.. cuz they stink when they fry)...

Man I am on an old-school roll tonight..

Rob

·
Registered
991 Posts
hated.. the actual CAR velo 10 set up? pm me...

Rob

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Be sure and post up a review if you do end up doing a servo system. I searched the site and there are a couple other threads asking about servo tech for car use...Im pretty interested myself.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.