DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the power in set screw on my JL A6450 6 channel amp got cross threaded by a previouse owner, while playing wiht it, i managed to get it stuck :mad: the allen socket isnt to torn up, its a pretty hard steel, but i can't get the damn thing out its torn up just enough to let my allen wrench slip. the whole power block insert proboblys needs to be replaced. anybody local to the north east coast who can help me out, or maybe even just walk me through where to get the parts and the procedure, it's not a hard solder job really, but I'd rather have somebody do it who knows what their doing. kind of puts me in a bind, i sold my current amp and intended to use this JL amp temperaley while I worked on getting the new one in. i'll be able to throw something together with some other amps to get my car stereo running, but the problem still remains with this JL amp.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You might still be able to get that out and re-thread the screw hole. Go to a hardware store and see if the have an "easy-out" that is small enough to fit in the allen head and get good bite. I don't know how small the screw is, so you may or may not have luck. It's pretty much just a reverse threaded conical screw type thing that will bite into the inside of the allen bolt and back it out (probably killing the threads in the process, but maybe you can re-tap that). I just bought a bigger 1/4" one for a bolt the other day for like $3, so they're cheap. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Can try a slightly larger size allen and try both SAE and Metric. Tapping on the top of the allen while trying to turn it can help. Maybe use an wrench to help with leverage to turn it with consistent pressure. Oil can help but not likely if the screw will not turn at all. Heat usually work but it's probably not a place you can get much heat to without destroying something else in the process.

Or easy out like mentioned above.

Last of the last is to drill the whole damn screw and threaded area out and re-tap it for a larger threaded screw.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I literally just threw my 6450 in the dumpster this morning. If you want it and it's still there when I get home, you can have it for parts. 5 of the 6 channels are out but cosmetically it's perfect.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just need the power terminal if anything. rather than shipping a hefty amp, you can just send me the terminal block.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I'll take it apart and cut it so that it can be unsoldiered by the new owner. I would probably ruin it trying to soldier myself.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would you be interested in this amp when I fix it?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
OP: Out of curiosity, what soldering equipment do you use? Terminals tend to need a pretty good iron because they are connected to some beefy traces that will dissipate heat pretty quickly. I've done it with my Weller WES51; I wouldn't recommend trying it with a cheap $10 soldering pencil.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i currently have no equitment for soldering :p other than solder. I planned on picking up a 10$ one finily, tired of barrowing eveyrone elses lol ya know how that goes. but thats an interesting point you bring up.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
just tried some easy out bits, sadly, nothing yet :( it's really in their. trashed the easy out bit, and the allen wrench kit i got. junk, thats whhat ya get for cheap i guess -_-

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I guess it's drill or replace then. I really recommend a 60w soldering iron for fixing amplifiers, and I recommend an adjustable one like my Weller WES51 (~$100) which is a very standard tool - one of the most popular soldering irons out, and it's not a new model (but is still made), so there are plenty of different tips for it. Also get a "solder sucker" and some desoldering braid (AKA solder wick) with flux in it - I have Techspray brand from Amazon (cheap) and it works well. Also pick up a "Helping Hand" if you plan to solder wires. Very useful.

The right equipment is great to have, but not for one repair. If you just want to fix this one thing then I recommend not doing so at all. If you think you have more use than this for a soldering setup then I really recommend the stuff I just mentioned.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
id rather outsorce the job if somebodys up for it :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm the previous owner and I didn't cross thread anything. That amp was in and out of my truck countless times and I never had an issue. I uninstalled it with no issues before shipping it to you, not to mention you cant really cross thread something when your unscrewing it.

Sorry about your luck, but it has nothing to do with me.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I guess it's drill or replace then. I really recommend a 60w soldering iron for fixing amplifiers, and I recommend an adjustable one like my Weller WES51 (~$100) which is a very standard tool - one of the most popular soldering irons out, and it's not a new model (but is still made), so there are plenty of different tips for it. Also get a "solder sucker" and some desoldering braid (AKA solder wick) with flux in it - I have Techspray brand from Amazon (cheap) and it works well. Also pick up a "Helping Hand" if you plan to solder wires. Very useful.

The right equipment is great to have, but not for one repair. If you just want to fix this one thing then I recommend not doing so at all. If you think you have more use than this for a soldering setup then I really recommend the stuff I just mentioned.

All of this... IF you solder, get in, get hot, get soldered and get out... faster this happens the better..

·
Registered
7,406 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Handle any other "he did it" comments in PM please.
agreed, I really don't know why he's getting defensive I didn't even give out his name, he sold him self out :rolleyes:

thanks for the help on this though evryone, been super helpful, looks like i'll probobly just end up drilling it out.

ordered my ZED leviathan a couple weeks ago, just put my payment in today and he'll be done with it early next week so looks like we're in good shape for my setup.

if anybody is interested in this amp do let me know :D it is a functioning amp, i just changed my plans, in fact I don't even remember how i got ahold of this amp, i think i got it in a trade :confused:

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright guys! well thank you so much for all the super fast feedback! this is the fastest anybody has helped me fix something ive ran into. :) I coudlnt get it out, so i just drilled it out, so the drill bit and easy out kit came in handy in the end, the easy out got it uout, but i still thrashed the threads quite a bit, i just ordered this -

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

didnt know what size to get, but i ordered this so that i will def find a biger one, and Ive honestly gotten ahold of easily a dozen amps with missing set screws and the like, so this will be very nifty to have :D

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Well, should be fine as long as it wasn't metric, I guess... If you wrecked the threads then you will need to use a thread chaser or tap new, bigger threads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts