DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to do it? After autoranging and crossover, I turn the volume of PXE all the way up. Using multimeter with pink noise, test tone, etc. and I was getting close to 5V at the speaker output. I was expecting about 24.5V for 150W. I believe my gain was already pretty high. I am not using Alpine amp so I don't have a "normal" 1V center detent. Please help.

·
Registered
546 Posts
IIRC, prior to running the auto-tune, the amp gain should be 1/4. After the auto-tune finishes, then turn up the volume on the imprint unit and adjust the gain on your amp accordingly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I read also, but my amp (JL) has Low setting of 0.2V to 2V and High setting of 0.8V to 8V. It has absolutely NO MARKINGS on it. What I know is that, the max (counterclockwise) on Low is MUCH LOUDER than min (clockwise) setting on High. Have no idea how to set it beside using multimeter.

·
Registered
572 Posts
That's what I read also, but my amp (JL) has Low setting of 0.2V to 2V and High setting of 0.8V to 8V. It has absolutely NO MARKINGS on it. What I know is that, the max (counterclockwise) on Low is MUCH LOUDER than min (clockwise) setting on High. Have no idea how to set it beside using multimeter.
What EXACT amp is it?

·
Registered
572 Posts
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/136/136HD6004.PDF

Read page 18 & 19 "CLOSELY"

CD with a sine-wave test tone recorded at
odB reference level in the frequency range
to be amplified for that set of channels
(50 Hz for subwoofer channels, 1 kHz for
a midrange application).
Using multimeter with pink noise, test tone, etc. and I was getting close to 5V at the speaker output.
You MUST use a sine-wave test tone for this method.
Pink noise/test tone simply will not get you what you want.

Audacity (Freeware) can be used to create the test tones you need. Make sure thay match the frequency rage of the speaker set you are adjusting and be sure to record them at the max level on a cd (-0DB), some recording software use strange values, you want max with no clipping on the cd itself.

Remove speaker wires from amp for the set you are testing, Set HU for max unclipped volume, Set H660 to max volume, Set your voltage range to high range and all the way down, adjust upward untill you get the desired output power from the speaker terminals.

Make sure your not at a point in the imprint setup that has the volume muted.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/136/136HD6004.PDF

Read page 18 & 19 "CLOSELY"

You MUST use a sine-wave test tone for this method.
Pink noise/test tone simply will not get you what you want.

Audacity (Freeware) can be used to create the test tones you need. Make sure thay match the frequency rage of the speaker set you are adjusting and be sure to record them at the max level on a cd (-0DB), some recording software use strange values, you want max with no clipping on the cd itself.

Remove speaker wires from amp for the set you are testing, Set HU for max unclipped volume, Set H660 to max volume, Set your voltage range to high range and all the way down, adjust upward untill you get the desired output power from the speaker terminals.

Make sure your not at a point in the imprint setup that has the volume muted.
I did use the sine wave (tried both 1kHz and 500Hz for midrange and 8k for tweeter, Cleansweep calibration CD track 10 to 12)but I was only able to get to around 5.8V on midrange and 3.5V on tweeter, at which the gain is near the 10 o'clock, on the scale of 0.2V to 2.0V level. I was sure that the HU was at max (unclipped differential balance) and PXE unit was also at max. I worry that raising the gain more would clip the amp. Or should I just go ahead and asjust it to 24.5V instead? I suspect it would be all the way to the right side. BTW I was doing it when it says "Adjust amp gain" something like that. I was sure there was output because I heard it on my speakers, I press the vol+ the volume goes up. Then I remove the speaker wires, insert Cleansweep CD, put 1kHz and 500Hz on midrange, etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't quite understand...Why if I use Alpine amp I would set the gain to 1V (center-the PXE manual says so) while I need to set to 4V if I use JL amp?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I don't quite understand...Why if I use Alpine amp I would set the gain to 1V (center-the PXE manual says so) while I need to set to 4V if I use JL amp?
Which imprint processor do you have?
I think the 650 has an output voltage of 2.5, but find nothing to back that up anywhere, they do not even list it in the manual, where the 660 clearly states it at 4v.

I pulled up a couple of manuals for the alpine pdx series amps and they say for setting the gain start at the minimun level, which is 4v according to the manual for the pdx 100.4

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which imprint processor do you have?
I think the 650 has an output voltage of 2.5, but find nothing to back that up anywhere, they do not even list it in the manual, where the 660 clearly states it at 4v.

I pulled up a couple of manuals for the alpine pdx series amps and they say for setting the gain start at the minimun level, which is 4v according to the manual for the pdx 100.4
Yes but both PXE manual saying that I should leave it at 12 o'clock-that means 1 volt on Alpine amps.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Arise Imprint thread!

I am attempting to retune my PXE-H650 after 4 years and for some reason I'm having a tough time getting it set without distortion. I'm AUX in, but the clipping light barely comes on on even when I'm maxed on the unit. I have the PDX-5 channels all at nominal or lower, but I get distortion earlier than the HU usually distorts.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Arise Imprint thread!

I am attempting to retune my PXE-H650 after 4 years and for some reason I'm having a tough time getting it set without distortion. I'm AUX in, but the clipping light barely comes on on even when I'm maxed on the unit. I have the PDX-5 channels all at nominal or lower, but I get distortion earlier than the HU usually distorts.
So your running your HU into the AUX input?
Do you know the max non-clipping volume of the HU?

----
Hard reset the H660 and be carefull not to push very hard on the reset button because it is fragile.
Set the HU to max unclipped level.
Set amps to 50% gain
Set sub amp gain to 25%
Set crossover on H660
Run through the imprint process.
Bump all H660 output levels to higher then zero.
Adjust amp gains to suite your taste.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Max non-clipping is about 23 out of 31, but I swear that has varied from test to test. I'll do a sine wave test and see if the AUX will clip at max.

I raise the PXE volume to max to use steering controls, ala npdang. That has worked well in the past. One other oddity. Even though I have the channels set right, the Imprint has the R and L reversed. I've double checked I have them correct, HU balance and BT phone output confirm it. My Imprint must just be reversed. Possible cause?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts