DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I already know how to set gains on an amplifier by ear. I don't have any Oscilloscopes on hand, and I'm just testing the amplifier to see if it works, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

To set gains by ear, you would, using the most basic strategy, set your HU to 75% volume and turn up the gain until the speakers distort. This can get very loud - not a problem.

My only concern is, I would ideally set the gains using the speakers that I'm going to be using, but something tells me blaring my brand new components isn't the best thing to do right out the box. Should I be worried about this when it comes time to test my amplifier?

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
If you are using music to set your gains, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I just leave my gains all the way down unless it just doesn't get as loud as it should with the volume near max on the HU. (This is partially because I always had 8v eclipse decks :) )

I'd probably say to set your gains based on a higher volume on the head unit, that way something doesn't break when someone cranks it up for fun.

For subs I always use a DMM and a test tone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just leave my gains all the way down unless it just doesn't get as loud as it should with the volume near max on the HU. (This is partially because I always had 8v eclipse decks :) )
I'm hoping this will be the same case for me. Running a CD8443, amp is a JL 300/2 :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might as well ask while I'm at it:

I don't have the speakers mounted to my car door. Is it it smart idea to play them while they're resting on the magnet? Or should I secure them down in some way?

As you can tell I'm being extra cautious, I don't have much cash and all of it was spent on these speakers (165K2P).

Ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
there is probably a vent in the back of that magnet. you might not want to block it and play the speaker at the same time.

i've played speakers while they were kind of resting on the sides before without harming them. or you could make a quick baffle out of something.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
uhhh,

FalkenBD = "For subs I always use a DMM and a test tone."

What's this? :beatnik:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've played speakers while they were kind of resting on the sides before without harming them. or you could make a quick baffle out of something.
Good point. I'll lay them on the side, and secure it down with some tape to keep it from rolling around.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uhhh,

FalkenBD = "For subs I always use a DMM and a test tone."

What's this? :beatnik:
Digital Multi-Meter and a test tone (50hz 0db off a CD usually). The tone gives a constant signal to the amplifier, and the multimeter lets you test the voltage coming out. You can fine tune your gains that way.

Preferably, I like to just use an Oscilloscope and increase the gain until I can visually see it start to clip. I've seen instances where the voltage is correct, but there is still distortion.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Digital Multi-Meter and a test tone (50hz 0db off a CD usually). The tone gives a constant signal to the amplifier, and the multimeter lets you test the voltage coming out. You can fine tune your gains that way.

Preferably, I like to just use an Oscilloscope and increase the gain until I can visually see it start to clip. I've seen instances where the voltage is correct, but there is still distortion.
Oh, that is rich. +1 for Ryebread

·
Banned
1,808 Posts

Sorry, this was a bit of an inside joke. I'm always getting crap for using a DMM and test tones. :p

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I'm curious, what's the point of setting your amplifier gains with the speakers not even mounted yet, since they're going to react differently when they're in their final location?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm curious, what's the point of setting your amplifier gains with the speakers not even mounted yet, since they're going to react differently when they're in their final location?
I bought some used stuff and I just wanted to make sure everything was working like it should.

My Focal's sounded like a clock radio when just resting free-air on my backseat...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts