DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing an amp to run my front splits active, and the amp blowing a woofer due to it kindly sending a DC signal ?, I've picked up a set of Hertz Mille Pro MPK 165.3 speakers, with a Hertz DPower 4 amp to run them.

I have a Pioneer AVH-Z2050BT head unit, which is capable of a 3-way active using its internal DSP. The amp I got doesn't have a 10x multiplier for the HPF, so the highest I can set it to is 400 Hz. I'd like to still have the flexibility to set the tweeter/mid crossover point based on what sounds best, which I'm anticipating might be around the 2 KHz mark based on the frequency response charts of the components.

However, I've been recommended to still use the passive crossover with the tweeter only, to protect it from receiving lower frequencies. The passive crossover is set to about 3.5KHz, meaning I won't be able to look at setting the crossover point to lower frequencies (perhaps 2KHz) unless I don't use the crossover.

How safe are headunits for not putting out a signal lower than the HPF? Is there a realistic chance that without the passive crossover, the headunit might send a full-range signal? Would an inline HPF at maybe 1KHz be a better safeguard leaving me the flexibility I'm hoping for?

What do people recommend I do?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Actually, headunits are very stable compared to outboard DSP. For one to lose it's settings would mean a complete reset caused by fumbling around, but I don't think that's the problem here because I see something bigger.

That is a 3-way component set which has much different crossover points than what the deck supplies. The Mille set is intended to be part of a 4-way system. It isn't going to be a good match for a 3-way network headunit without the passive crossover.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I can't say I've actually heard of a headunit losing its settings and doing that. I stuck a 22uF cap on both the tweeters, which in theory crosses them at about 1900khz ish and it's sounding fine. $0.60 spent for some peace of mind I guess, better than to damage another $400 set of speakers. Those tweeters start to roll off about about 2.5khz anyway, which is where I have them set at the moment.

I might not be following you correctly here - but I think I could match in the HU the crossover points of the MPK165.3 set as if I was using the included passive crossover. Why do you say it's intended to be part of a 4-way system, are you meaning that its intended to be used along with that 70.3 midrange speaker? The HU can't do 4-way, in which case yes, I couldn't get around using the passive crossover with the equipment I have if I were to go that route, unless I upgraded to a dedicated DSP.

(Considering I was really happy with the ESK 165L.5 set I had in there a week ago, and spent $630 I didn't want to spend to replace them, I can't see myself getting a 4-way system going anytime soon!)

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Apologies. An error on my reading. Thought you had the MPK 163.... you have the 165. Yeah, the extra cap is fine if you're going active, but probably would have been better using one that isn't so close to the actual crossover frequency you plan on using.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
17 Posts
First, I would assume that Hertz knows what they are doing. Yes, all vehicles are somewhat different, but they know the mid-bass is going in the bottom front corner of each door and the tweeter is going in the dash or A-pillar. I personally wouldn't veer too far from the factory 3.5 khz crossover point, which is likely set by the tweeters power handling capabilities. It is unfortunate that the passive crossover only provides a 0db or +2db selection on the tweeter. Even so, with a bit of EQ, that will probably work out fine. You might find that going with the Hertz passives and bridging your 4-channel amp to give each speaker set more than double power might be better than active. If you do go active, be aware that Hertz low passes the mid-bass with a shallow 6db crossover. Not sure if that is to provide better blending with the far removed tweeter, or to simply save component costs (likely the former).

Saying all that, I ran a 3-way active setup using the crossover in my JVC headunit and it worked fine. Just upgraded to the Dayton DSP-408 to provide a steeper low pass for the sub and give me 4-way capability. I like playing around but the freakin' wires are everywhere...and the cables cost more than the processor itself. :(
Good luck with your system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts