DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I've now become the poster that is 'getting old' and need to relax on my car audio gear. I've been out of the scene for over 10 years and am not looking at multi-channel amps because I don't have the room for all my old large mono and 2 channel amps.

I've noticed that there are now Class D amps that do 4 and 5 channel for low prices around $300. They seem to fit nicely under my passenger seat. I only have room for a SINGLE amp and the class D's just fit.

I've never worked with multi channel amps so have some questions;

I want to power 1 sub + 2 speakers. All of these are at 2 OHM each (from my old setup). So this is 3 speakers total. These speakers are NOT efficient and range from 82db from sub, and 86db for door speakers.

The amps I'm looking at are available from sonicelectronix dot com and order are:

Precision Power P900.4 (fuses on amp - 40A + 35A)
4 channel

Infinity KAPPA FOUR (fuses on amp - 40A + 40A)
4 channel

Infinity KAPPA FIVE (fuses on amp - 40A + 40A)
5 channel (if you guys really recommend 5 channel?)

Can someone tell me if these amps would suite my needs and how I would need to set them up considering my speakers are all 2ohm and not very efficient. I'm not looking to upgrade my speakers at this time.

What kind of amp would you guys recommend and how can I set them up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
the 900.4 will do 225WMRS at 2 Ohms, and 450WRMS bridged at 4 ohms. if youre looking to run a 2+1 set up, i would use the 900.4 given the 3 options you provided. if offers the most power by far. also, it was semi-recently reviewed in pasmag and it faired well, even if it was only a quick review.

PASMAG | PERFORMANCE AUTO AND SOUND - Test Report: Precision Power P900.4 Amplifier

ill have to admit that i have not used this amp yet. i would use it though if i needed something like it. extremely good value.

·
Registered
110 Posts
hard to know if it will sound different than the 900.4. ideally they should sound identical. assuming both amps cleanly amplify the signal, it comes down to power, price, and size for you it seems. the 900.4 is less expensive, is stronger in any configuration, and is slightly smaller. the crossover section on the 900.4 isnt as expansive as on the excelon. have to admit, the excelon amp has a really nice crossover. really though, that means options and its nice but if you dont need it, itsa wasted feature. dont think many ppl crossover thier items at 10,000hz.

i dont think any choice youve asked about is bad thus far. theyll all be just fine. the 900.4 gives you the most power by far and is pretty small. its probably too much for what you need...which means its perfect.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
For the fronts, I'd look into Alpine PDX amplifiers. Alpine has been in the Class D game a little longer. Yes.. they are a little expensive. The PPI P900.4 does seem to have an amazing amount of power for little money. The power in bridged mode is plentiful for many subwoofers. I am thinking of getting one to drive a subwoofer+rears.

Kenwood XR-4S actually has approximately the same power output as PPI Phantom. A Russian web site measured 153watts with 4ohms and 203 with 2ohms and a 14.4V battery. PPI is a little more powerful only with 2ohm impedance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts