DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last two years or so I've found myself buying speakers and amps off ebay that were just too wonderful of deals to let go. My original intention was to build a system that was painfully loud but more recently I've realized that SQ is also somewhat important to me. I guess I'm just wondering if what I've bought will work somewhat well and if anybody has any experience/opinions on any of these items.

Boston ProSeries 6.5
Precision Power PCX480
Diamond 400.2

I originally bought the PP because it was really cheap and had a lot of power on tap. I then decided that i wanted to use it's 320x2 for my front speakers and so went on a search for some speakers that could handle that much power. I found that the Boston's supposedly handled 400w RMS each so i found a pair and grabbed them. I then found the Diamond at a ridiculously low price due to a scratch on the front and thought it would work for the rear speakers.

I haven't yet bought the rear speakers but am looking for something that will fit in the rear doors of my Subaru Impreza, which has a 4" speaker that i believe i could use a baffle to fit a 5.25". I need a coaxial that will use the 100w without stress and hopefully keep up to the bostons as a rear speaker would normally, which i believe should be a little quieter than the fronts for good staging. So far I've found Diamond d651i and Alpine SPR-17C to fit the category although the Alpine's have a pretty low sensitivity and I'm not sure if it would keep up. I'm in no way restricted to mainstream speakers and would preferably get some non-mainstream one's, just not sure which.

Anything is great, criticisms, recommendations, or whatever
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and i forgot to add, I'm planing on purchasing a PG Ti12D and PG Xenon 1200.1 for the sub bass. From what i here the sub is just what I'm looking for, one that will dominate the low end with authority. The only problem is that it is a D4 so i need an amp that will put out at least 1200w at 2ohm's. I've been suggested the PG Xenon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone at least think that I'll be alright with the large power difference between the front and rear amps, 320w vs 100w?

One thing i was thinking is if the rear just cant keep up with the front when I'm playing it really loud maybe i could get an EQ and just turn down all the frequencies above the midbass on the front speakers and match the gain on the rear amp with the volume of the higher frequencies on the fronts. This would more evenly match the levels of vocals and treble on both sets of speakers while i would be achieving better midbass because one thing I'm afraid of is that it might not be able to match the sub.

I would also not be wasting the extra power of the front amp because even though it would sound quieter i would still be using all the power in the midbass which I'm guessing would sound as if i added an extra set of midbass's. I'm not exactly going for a flat frequency response but more an upward trend in spl as the frequency decreases.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts